Skip to main content

What's Cookin? Greens. That's what's Cookin'

In 2016, I canned sweet-hot caramelized onions for the first time.  I used them often in different recipes, meals.  This time I used the onions on pizza....


Garden Swiss Chard, ricotta, Parmesan, garden garlic, herb garden thyme, barnyard egg....topped with home canned sweet hot caramelized onions.  Tasted amazing.


Here is how I made mine, but you an google for other recipes:
You need 2 - 14 inch pizza crusts (I used premade thin - yeah I cheated). Organic/non-gmo ingredients.
In a bowl, I mixed:
1 - 15 oz. container ricotta
1/2 cup or more of Parmesan cheese
1 egg yolk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. dry thyme
swiss chard wilted (I pre-blanch and freeze mine in pint bags, and used two partially full bags for this)
Spread mixture onto two 14 - inch pizza crusts.
Top with canned "Sweet Hot Caramelized Onions"
or your own freshly caramelized onions.
Bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes.
salt/pepper 

As for the recipe for the Sweet Hot Caramalized (canned) onions....

It's in this book: 
by Better Homes and Gardens (our library has it, yours may too).
 
It's also in the Better Homes and gardens Special Interest Publication magazine:  Canning, Preserving, Freezing and Drying.  Sept. 2013.  
 
I have yet to find it online. 





Comments

Rain said…
The pizza looks delicious! :)
Sam I Am...... said…
Your pizza looks amazing and I bet it tastes that way too. I'm going to have to try it...I 'pinned' it for later! Thank you!
Susan said…
That pizza looks amazing! I bet it was wonderful with carmelized onions. I didn't even think about canning them - what a great idea!
Leigh said…
Oh my, that pizza looks absolutely amazing! Just the kind of thing i would love, although Dan would probably turn his nose up at it LOL (More for me!!!)
Susan, the onions were a great idea to can. I will be canning them again. They came in handy for topping burgers and breakfast burritos too.
Leigh, I was amazed at the flavor. It was so good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart