Skip to main content

...from the handiwork journal

I thought I'd post a handiwork update while the kitchen is in full swing.

. . . made more granny squares for the baby blanket, only 11 more to make. 




. . .making progress on the dishcloths.  Finished this one, which was gifted to my older brother for all that fish he gifted us.  Another one still continues in progress.




. . .started on a set of embroidered kitchen towels. These are for Grad Daughter's Hope Chest.  I had to hold this down in the wind to get a photo of it.





. . .progress on the crocheted baby (diamond stitch) blanket.  Although now halted due to running out of yarn.  It's a bit lighter of color (was a darker day out when I photographed this).



. . .started this baby blanket with stash yarn (but I know these brands are still being produced, so I'm safe with this one).   You can tell I had a lot of different purple yarns in my stash.



. . . started another washcloth, which we greatly need.  The store bought ones have been turned into rags, and the crocheted ones, last much longer.  I'm just using up stash yarn, so the color is just what I have on hand. 



. . . working on a dishcloth for sale.  Farmer's Market next year is in the works.  So far anyway. These are my thinnest dishcloths yet, using cotton #10 crochet thread.  they have a hook on top for easy hanging and drying, and are great for campers too.



. . . finished 5 more crocheted bracelets.  I just need to sew in ends and locate some buttons for them. 



. . . working on a winter slouchy hat.  It's in the itty bitty beginning stage.  These are popular in the fall, so I thought I better get started (again). 

It's might be time to open my Etsy store now.  Just maybe.

Comments

Susan said…
You are going like a house on fire! I really like the colors of the dishcloth for your brother - is it a sugar 'n cream yarn? (If that's the right name for the brand...)
Vicki said…
Talented lady!! I just love seeing what others are doing in the handiwork department.
Rain said…
Your projects are really pretty! I love the basil embroidery!
Hi! You sure are busy at making your crafts! I wondered if you could tell me what kind of material the embroidered towel is made of? Thanks! Nancy
Mama Pea said…
Hope you do open your Etsy store. Your work is lovely.
Susan, yes, it's sugar and cream 100% cotton yarn for the dishcloths. I save any leftover small bits for my scrap yarn rugs too.
Thank you Rain. I have several towels to embroider for her. I already have cat towels made for Youngest's hope chest. The older two girls didn't want any.
Cozy Thyme - the towel is a flour sack towel.
Mama Pea, thank you so much!
Debby Flowers said…
Beautiful work Kristina! So glad you are feeling better. I do not crochet myself but love to buy dish clothes from church sales, craft sales, etc. The most impressive to me is that you make the time to do this! Love your embroidery too.
Debby, thank you. When I have anything tomato reducing, I sit and do handiwork while watching the pot. I don't have much time, but evenings are typically a good time to work on stuff.
Sam I Am...... said…
Wow! You have been busy! I love all your projects and the colors you use are such pretty combinations. I don't know how you do it all with your garden and canning too and a house and a family! Women are amazing!
I have some old purple acrylic...what color do you need? Maybe I have it. Tell me on my blog so I don't forget! LOL!
Sam I Am, thank you. I actually have a skein coming to me in the mail soon (so thankful for that too). I have to sit with my leg up until the swelling is all gone, so I get porch time this week and next (in between canning and outdoor work). Not much reading though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart