Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Homemade Garlic Powder

 


The tool on the left is used for removing the garlic skins.  you place the garlic inside the tube and roll it with your hand.  The tool on the right is used to slice the garlic.






You put the top piece of the slicer back on top and twist the bottom as you press down the top. I have learned to not over fill this, making it much easier.

I know this is a repeat post, and I do make it yearly most garden seasons.  If you have never made garlic powder you can click on my post below on how I make it, after the garlic is dehydrated.  

My very first years making garlic powder, I would hand peel, and hand slice.  




Tips:
-Use latex gloves.

-Rinse all the tools/knife if you are not going to do dishes right away.  Garlic dries rock hard, making washing things difficult.

-I only have 4 mats for my dehydrator, so I use parchment paper some times, so that I don't lose the very small bits of the garlic.  I do recommend parchment paper over simply using your trays.  It is much easier to un-stick the garlic from the paper, push it to the center, and fold the paper in half to slide it into your grinder.  It makes way less mess, and clean up much easier.




-Save your garlic skins to make broth or flavor other dishes.  Store the skins in a freezer bag.




4 comments:

Mother Em said...

My niece gave me some garlic, onion and dill powders recently. What a beautiful smell when I opened the box she sent them in. Think you were asking how to get all your past blogs put into books/journals. You are friends with the blog Diary of A Stay At Home Mom, Sandra. She did all hers a number of years back; perhaps you can inquire. I don't have her contact info any longer. Hope it was you seeking this info.

Have a great weekend. Put your feet up for awhile.

Jackie said...

Hmm never thought of saving the skins to use for flavour. Thanks for the tip.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, thanks I will check into that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, I just learned about saving the skins by watching a video from the Homesteading Family online. I never knew either.