Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Hot Peppers and Winter Prep

I finally found some habanero peppers, so another batch of hot sauce was canned. 


I used my own serrano and jalapeno peppers for this batch. I got exactly 4 - 4 oz. jars this time, and boy is it hotPersonally, hubby and I much prefer the first batch using cherry bomb (hot, but not burn-your-mouth-off hot).  It's all up to your taste I guess.

Did I share the recipe (BHG) link?  Triple Pepper Hot Sauce




I put more dandelions on the freezer.  I am pretty sure we'll be well stocked with greens, but I have another list that needs filled before the snow even thinks about falling.   


The barn cats are eating up a storm.  I am taking this as a warning to prepare for a bad winter.  They are already trying to fatten up. 

Today?  It's another day with tomatoes.   And the next day too.

8 comments:

local alien said...

Good on you for the dandelions. They are a prized dish here but didnt think anyone outside Europe really ate them. They drink the dandelion vegetable water as well.

Sandra said...

you sure have been busy.
I have not done any canning this year. We have a house we are trying to get ready for the market, so until then I don't see to have time for anything else.
I hope next year is a better year.
Happy Canning :)

Susan said...

What are you going to do when your tomatoes are all canned? I bet it won't be sitting on your porch, relaxing. I really love hot stuff, but I can't take too much heat anymore.

Sam I Am...... said...

You can have your hot sauce but I'll take some of those tomatoes! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

local alien, thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, we drink the tea here too, as well as eat them. I also bake a bread using the petals, as well as make jelly. All very good, but the jelly is much work.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh Sandra, I bet you are busy. Getting a house ready is so time consuming, along with raising animals. Take care!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I have a feeling I will be making some jellies when the tomatoes are done. And peach jam. Hubby is a "hot pepper" guy, so the hot sauce was for him, and a few recipes I use it for.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I am totally amazed at this year's crop of tomatoes.