Skip to main content

Hot Peppers and Winter Prep

I finally found some habanero peppers, so another batch of hot sauce was canned. 


I used my own serrano and jalapeno peppers for this batch. I got exactly 4 - 4 oz. jars this time, and boy is it hot!  Personally, hubby and I much prefer the first batch using cherry bomb (hot, but not burn-your-mouth-off hot).  It's all up to your taste I guess.

Did I share the recipe (BHG) link?  Triple Pepper Hot Sauce




I put more dandelions on the freezer.  I am pretty sure we'll be well stocked with greens, but I have another list that needs filled before the snow even thinks about falling.   


The barn cats are eating up a storm.  I am taking this as a warning to prepare for a bad winter.  They are already trying to fatten up. 

Today?  It's another day with tomatoes.   And the next day too.

Comments

local alien said…
Good on you for the dandelions. They are a prized dish here but didnt think anyone outside Europe really ate them. They drink the dandelion vegetable water as well.
Sandra said…
you sure have been busy.
I have not done any canning this year. We have a house we are trying to get ready for the market, so until then I don't see to have time for anything else.
I hope next year is a better year.
Happy Canning :)
Susan said…
What are you going to do when your tomatoes are all canned? I bet it won't be sitting on your porch, relaxing. I really love hot stuff, but I can't take too much heat anymore.
Sam I Am...... said…
You can have your hot sauce but I'll take some of those tomatoes! LOL!
local alien, thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, we drink the tea here too, as well as eat them. I also bake a bread using the petals, as well as make jelly. All very good, but the jelly is much work.
Oh Sandra, I bet you are busy. Getting a house ready is so time consuming, along with raising animals. Take care!
Susan, I have a feeling I will be making some jellies when the tomatoes are done. And peach jam. Hubby is a "hot pepper" guy, so the hot sauce was for him, and a few recipes I use it for.
Sam I Am, I am totally amazed at this year's crop of tomatoes.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart