Skip to main content

Pears ~ Anise ~ Uses for Ginger-Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Butter

The pears are ripening before I want them to, so I canned Pear-Star Anise Butter (Ball recipe).  It's a first time recipe for me.  I can't wait to taste it.



Anise intrigued me, so I started researching it too.
I find it interesting that this, as well as bilberries have shown to give relief to arthritis as well.  Other health benefits can be read here:  Anise Seed Nutrition.

I also read that anise contains an ingredient pharmaceuticals use to make the Tamiflu drug.

It's an interesting article if you have time to read it (link above).  The price of anise could sky rocket if they continue to stock up the drug. 

You can make a tea to gargle or use it to make a throat spray for bad coughs too.  No more Chloraseptic in my house.  Did you know that Chloraseptic is not even supposed to be ingested?  All my childhood I swallowed it, never spit it out.  Yuck. Oh, I am so glad I am reading up on this stuff, but also wish I did this before I started having kids. 

I'm thrilled to have found this information.  I can keep organic anise seed on hand.  I can whip up a tea, make a spray, or use it for cooking too.  

We brought in another 18# of pears, which makes the pear tally over 40#.  I am pretty sure it's safe to say it's time to buy the wine making supplies.

Oh, there are many more pears.  We still need a fruit picker for the trees.  They have been shaking the trees to get them down for now, ha ha!

If you are wondering what to use sweet potato butter on, it's wonderful slathered on a pancake (or waffle).

Of course it's delicious on any bread at breakfast too.  I have some ham in my freezer and want to try it on a ham/cheese sandwich next.

Tomatoes are still rolling in.  Some plants are dying off, but are loaded with tomatoes. 
 

Comments

Kim said…
I have a boat load of pears as well. I been backing the truck under the tree to make me taller! Hehehe!
Kim, a small branch of the river behind us, cuts through a corner of our property. We have to cross it to get to our pear trees, but that is a brilliant idea!
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh, I love pears! So much you can do with them too! Did you plant those trees or were they there? The sweet potato butter looks good too and thanks for the info about anise. I sometimes put some in my coffee grounds before I brew it for a different flavor. I also use pumpkin spice, orange zest, ginger, nutmeg, cloves. I just have a Mr.Coffee so I sprinkle it right on the grounds before I brew.
Enjoy your pears!
Susan said…
This was sure the polar opposite of last year! Your pears look wonderful. My tree did not produce one this year - a late spring freeze took care of that.
RB said…
That's interesting about the anise. I'm going to have to try it.
For those who want inexpensive spices, check the international (Hispanic) aisle in the grocery store. I don't know if those are organic, but I do know I got over a dozen packages of bay leaves there for 67 cents each so I could put one in each cabinet and drawer when I was having problems with ants, and it stopped them cold. The bay leaves in the jarred spices were a lot more expensive than that. I couldn't have afforded one package for each cabinet and drawer had I bought those.
Hope everyone's have a great week.
Prayers for a safe one for us all too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Susan, we didn't get any last year either. I am planning to order a wine making kit today. We'll see. I have more tomatoes.
Thanks for that tip RB, have a safe and fun week too.
Sam I am, the pear trees were here, but we planted 3 apple trees, a plum tree, peach tree, and cherry tree since we've lived here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart