Skip to main content

Humid, Hot and Wet

Some days, okay almost every day, I forget to do something that should already be ingrained in my brain.  You know, the routine stuff?

I forgot to collect eggs one day, and the next day I got this full basket of bounty.  You can see the four araucana hens are now laying as well again.  I got two eggs from them.  However, the full basket indicates that our black araucana is not eating eggs anymore.  She very well could be eating her own, but I'll have to keep watching her.  Maybe all of her isolation, and feeding her mustard filled eggs worked.
Timmy looks like I feel this week.  Hot, hot, hot.  The humidity just sucks the energy out of you.  I had to dig out my dehydrator to dry my herbs (too humid in the house).

The humidity made outdoor photographing a bit challenging.  My lens kept steaming up.



In between chores, I managed to prepare more homemade condensed cream of mushroom soups for the freezer. 

We got buckets of rain yesterday.  Again.  Sigh.

I wish I could bottle it up and ship it out west.  We had flash flood warnings, and more storms.  everything is very wet out there this morning.
 
Today weeding may not get done (again), and the humidity is 92%.  I have to take a walk out there and see if the rain has damaged anything.  To early to tell if the potatoes are.  

And guess what's coming later today?  More rain.

I keep praying the rain will not flood out any of the garden (pr cause rot).
 
In all honesty, we should be cutting wood in between storms, since we can't get into the garden much.  I better update Hubby's to-do list, so we can stay on track.

Well, I better get my tea infusion going.  I need the extra energy today.   Last night I was, for some reason, too tired to do any handiwork.  Or write.  Cheers for a better day today.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
That humidity WILL suck any and all energy right out of you. With your heat and humidity, be on the watch for mold forming . . . which will make you sick for sure. My niece just bought a house that had carpeting in the bathroom which she immediately tore out. The whole floor underneath was a solid sheet of M-O-L-D. Ish!

Try not to stress about the garden. (NOT easy, I know.) You can't do anything about the weather and one of these days, your rain must stop and the sun will appear and dry everything out. Hang in there! Sending hugs.

P.S. Is your hubby back at work?
Mama Pea, I am already cleaning a layer of mildew off the bathroom cupboards and doors. I have charcoal in the cupboards too. I just bought two more containers of charcoal for the bedroom closet too. I never got out to the garden this morning.

It rained again! UGH! So depressing.
Michelle said…
What a great idea to stop chickens from eating eggs. Do you make the mustard eggs or buy them?
Michelle, I just kept egg shells from when I made eggs (or used eggs) and fill one side with mustard, and pushed the shells together to look like a regular egg. I put it in the coop with a few golf balls too. You can blow out an egg to fill, but I didn't want to waste them.
Michelle said…
Thanks so much. I did have a chicken that eat eggs,but we had to get rid of her. This will save me a heartache.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart