Skip to main content

Chit Chat

 



The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season.

I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.  



I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.  

Comments

We are only getting tomatoes and small sweet peppers from the yard. It won't feed us but it does add to our meals.
I read about your spice extract before and I can only imagine how good your granola smells and tastes.
I am always interested in what you do with foraging. Good on you. Jean
Carol said…
We got almost nothing out of our garden this year so I am thankful for the farm stands near by
Betsy said…
I would love some wonderfully fresh green beans from the garden. That's what I miss most about not having a garden. Yours look yummy.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, the extract in the granola smelled wonderful.
The Seventies and Beyond, some foraged foods are healthier for us too. If the rain gives us more, I'll add it to a salad or eggs for breakfast.
Carol, same with us. I have to buy much more this year.
Betsy, we really cut back on our garden, so we could get rid of the squash bug eggs in the soil, but I still planted a bit of green beans. If not, we would be buying them at local produce stands for sure.
Jennifer said…
I love homemade granola...but have not made it in quite awhile. Perhaps you have inspired me:)
We will have lots of tomatoes soon. Those yellow beans are so good!
Jennifer, I gifted homemade granola one year in canning jars. I used to sell it at the Farmer's Market too. So good.
Far Side of Fifty, for some reason the wax beans always produce much faster and plentiful, than our green beans. I may change resources for bean seeds next year.
R's Rue said…
Blessed for what we have. Yes. God bless you.
R's Rue, yes, blessed and thankful

Popular posts from this blog

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart