Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 10, 2020

Beans ~ Queen Anne's Lace ~ Cool Down Treat for the Chickens

Green beans and wax beans are starting to come on.

Although we have a ton of Queen Anne's Lace, I won't be making jelly this.  Maybe.


Thanks to the tip from Goatldi yesterday, I froze corn for the chickens cool down treat.  They loved it!


I spent all yesterday morning watering everything.  We had a heat advisory.

Today rain is in the forecast.  I'm taking a chance and not watering, so pray it does.  We are being warned of a second heat wave after the rain.  Sigh...

The heat is just sucking the positive mojo and energy right out of me.  One daughter is depressed (the salon called yesterday and told her they can't afford to keep her on staff).  Hubby is agitated when he gets home.  Who wouldn't be?  He works in this heat and next to 600°F equipment off and on.  Yesterday he had to work where it was 120°F.

I need a motorcycle ride or camping trip.  Both will not happen in this heat either.  I need a sanity saver and am stuck inside, but at least we have air conditioning.



I finished the patriotic dishcloth.  Not big news there, but it's off the project list now.  

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Your beans are way ahead of mine that are just barely starting to form blossoms now.

We wait all winter planning for our gardens and warm weather and then when the time finally comes, it's waaaay too hot and we lack rainfall. Sometimes it seems we can't win, doesn't it? But you're getting some nice looking things from your garden so every little bit counts.

I feel so sorry for the young adults these days. Just when they're at a point where they've gotten their education and are eager to be out in the working/big people world, the jobs aren't there for them. How can they stay positive?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I am very thankful for whatever I get from the garden. It's more than we got last year. We got one serving of green beans if I remember right. Kids have it so hard right now for sure. She applied at 2 more salons. Crossing our fingers.

Goatldi said...

What a great idea of using a muffin tin! I never thought about that. Thanks for the credit. I got it from someplace out in the ether but can't at this point remember where.

Katmom said...

My garden would love some of your heat,, it has been off and on, cold and overcast up here.. my poor Okra plants are ready to call it quits!
Hang in there,,,, oh and Thanx for the tip about the corn ice cubes, I shared it with a friend back in California.
>^..^<

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Goatldi, the chickens love it too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katmom, we are just having trouble with heat and lack of rain.

mamasmercantile said...

What a great tip for the snack for the chickens. I will certainly do that if indeed we ever get any heat we are not having much of a Summer this year. Sorry to read about your daughter, my heart goes out to all those who have lost or losing their jobs. Not easy for them and so disheartening.