Skip to main content

Beans ~ Queen Anne's Lace ~ Cool Down Treat for the Chickens

Green beans and wax beans are starting to come on.

Although we have a ton of Queen Anne's Lace, I won't be making jelly this.  Maybe.


Thanks to the tip from Goatldi yesterday, I froze corn for the chickens cool down treat.  They loved it!


I spent all yesterday morning watering everything.  We had a heat advisory.

Today rain is in the forecast.  I'm taking a chance and not watering, so pray it does.  We are being warned of a second heat wave after the rain.  Sigh...

The heat is just sucking the positive mojo and energy right out of me.  One daughter is depressed (the salon called yesterday and told her they can't afford to keep her on staff).  Hubby is agitated when he gets home.  Who wouldn't be?  He works in this heat and next to 600°F equipment off and on.  Yesterday he had to work where it was 120°F.

I need a motorcycle ride or camping trip.  Both will not happen in this heat either.  I need a sanity saver and am stuck inside, but at least we have air conditioning.



I finished the patriotic dishcloth.  Not big news there, but it's off the project list now.  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your beans are way ahead of mine that are just barely starting to form blossoms now.

We wait all winter planning for our gardens and warm weather and then when the time finally comes, it's waaaay too hot and we lack rainfall. Sometimes it seems we can't win, doesn't it? But you're getting some nice looking things from your garden so every little bit counts.

I feel so sorry for the young adults these days. Just when they're at a point where they've gotten their education and are eager to be out in the working/big people world, the jobs aren't there for them. How can they stay positive?
Mama Pea, I am very thankful for whatever I get from the garden. It's more than we got last year. We got one serving of green beans if I remember right. Kids have it so hard right now for sure. She applied at 2 more salons. Crossing our fingers.
Goatldi said…
What a great idea of using a muffin tin! I never thought about that. Thanks for the credit. I got it from someplace out in the ether but can't at this point remember where.
Katmom said…
My garden would love some of your heat,, it has been off and on, cold and overcast up here.. my poor Okra plants are ready to call it quits!
Hang in there,,,, oh and Thanx for the tip about the corn ice cubes, I shared it with a friend back in California.
>^..^<
Goatldi, the chickens love it too.
Katmom, we are just having trouble with heat and lack of rain.
mamasmercantile said…
What a great tip for the snack for the chickens. I will certainly do that if indeed we ever get any heat we are not having much of a Summer this year. Sorry to read about your daughter, my heart goes out to all those who have lost or losing their jobs. Not easy for them and so disheartening.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart