Skip to main content

Tilling Started ~ Wind Damage ~ Rhubarb Vodka

Three hours of work, but it doesn't look like much.  That pea fence is about 40 feet long.  We got started, so that feels good.



(wind damage)

Wind kicked up to a nasty speed, so we quit for the day.  We'll resume again today.  Our frost warning for tonight is now a freeze warning.  Not the kind of May weather we normally have.  I can't believe we are having this cold weather right now.

Tonight we hit a possible low of 28°F.  Unheard of for May.  My chicks need to be re-homed to the barn, but now I cannot do that until possible next Wed. thanks to the weather.  They are out growing their home indoors.  I'll be covering my rhubarb, garlic, asparagus, and herbs in the herb garden that have already shown spring growth.

I started a triple batch of rhubarb vodka last night.  Today we add the vodka.  You can find the recipe HERE with photos from last years.  

Comments

Sandra said…
We were trying to get some yard work yesterday and the wind kicked up too, we had to abandon our task. Had big storms overnight with strong winds and the winds are still going strong this morning, so I'm staying indoors. Wind always kicks up my allergy induced asthma so it's best to avoid. LOL

Your Rhubarb vodka sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look.

Hope you're having a good week so far.
We've had that wind too. We were not able to set our started plants outside in the sun for several days due to the wind.
Thanks Sandra, other than battling this wacky weather we are doing good.
Wildflower Adventures, I cannot harden my plants here either. Way too cold and way too windy as well.
Leigh said…
This cold snap is crazy! And so is your wind damage!

I envy your rhubarb - so many wonderful tings to make with it. I've tried to grow it, but can't find a spot where it can survive the heat of our summers.
Leigh, it is crazy. I do have to remind myself to water the rhubarb often. It's in a raised bed.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart