Skip to main content

Turkey Lentil Frittata

Here is the recipe I promised to share.  The original recipe is linked, and below I will explain what I added.

I found the "protein packed" breakfast recipe online at Lentils.org (click Lentils.org to the left to go directly to the recipe), and changed it up a bit to try. Lentils for breakfast?  I mean why not, I add black beans them too.  Lentils are high in protein and low in fat, and provide many nutrients as well as fiber.

First I made my lentils the day before, and that way I had that job done.  You need cooked lentils to make this frittata.



I still have homegrown sweet potatoes (they lasted much better than all the other potatoes too).




I added garlic, freshly minced and added it after the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper (didn't have roasted red ones on hand) were cooked.  I also added oregano, greens and chives.

I didn't cook it on the stove as the recipe stated, nor broil the dish. 

I just cooked the sweet potato, red bell pepper in my cast iron pan first, added the remainder, and baked it in the oven at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes until it was done.

Hubby was skeptical too.  Only 6 eggs, and I typically use 7 or 8.  

Oh my gosh, it was so good.  I also had leftover cooked lentils that I made into a spread for sandwiches (or could be a veggie dip too).  Our 18 year-old daughter put it on a grilled cheese sandwich and loved it.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I woke up with a sinus headache the day of the funeral yesterday.  Along with sinus pressure and whatnot.  I'm downing my four thieves vinegar, mullein/ginger tea and holy basil.  I'm also avoiding the hospital.  Hubby is worried although we've been careful to wash our hands upon leaving, so I am praying they release Mom soon, and that my younger brother and one sister are able to visit and check on her.  

Today it's my wonderful husband who is helping me rest, and take care of whatever needs caring for.  Including springing Mom from the hospital if that happens today.  I just hope the store has non-gmo bone broth.  I do not have any in my freezer.

A family member is already selling crocheted hats to raise more funds for our nephew's family.  It was the first thought on my own mind.  There have been jacket sales to help, the school is selling t-shirts, and collections at a local bank.  Our heart just breaks for them all.  Again, thanks for all your kind words.  

Comments

Susan said…
Oh, boy. I hope your sinus infection is over quickly. It is so chancy, going into a hospital. I also hope your mom is home by now, as we know that you heal so much better when you're home. I didn't see the link to that frittata? Did I miss it? I would love to make it - I love lentils! Feel better soon. I continue to hold your nephew's family in my thoughts.
Thank you Susan. The color of the link is not very good, so once I am up to figuring out how to change the color of my links, I will. I went up and noted where the link is at in this post.
Susan, I figured out how to change the color of my links. It was showing up in gray and you couldn't see them. Now they are blue. Whew. Sorry about that.
mamasmercantile said…
You and your family remain in my prayers. Hope you are feeling better soon. The fritatta looks amazing, a great recipe. I will certainly be giving that a try. Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart