Skip to main content

Yeast Roll Trials

A few new recipes were shared with me by blog followers, just before the holidays.  I failed miserably at trying them, but chalked out a few days to try them this month.




First, I made the rolls you roll up like crescent rolls (using oil).  I love the idea you can let the dough "stand" for the night, and then again in the morning, so you have the job done in small bits, leaving time to do whatever you need to in the morning.




Yum!  These are soft and fluffy.  The flavor is almost like a sourdough too. The only thing I didn't do was used greased baking sheets. 


 I used parchment paper, which I can re-use again.  Thank you for the recipe!!  There were still soft on day 2 (I'm surprised they lasted to day 2).




Next, I made the refrigerator roll recipe that was shared with me by Rebecca via her blog (click on her name and it goes directly to her recipe on her blog - Refrigerator Rolls.  It requires shortening, so I used (real) lard that I had on hand. It also requires mashed potatoes, so this was Hubby's excuse for me to make meatloaf and mashed potatoes the night before.

I had to purchase organic white potatoes, but I am thankful I have access to them before we plant again.  They just don't taste the same though.

Back to the rolls......the dough is placed in the refrigerator, and you can leave it in there from 8 hours to 5 days. Perfect for a gathering, big meal, holidays etc.

The results?

I made 16 beautifully big, delicious rolls.  Next batch will be  24 smaller ones.  Oh my gosh, are they good.  My vegetarian daughter even ate them (using lard).

Thank you both for sharing your recipes, and they are both "keepers."  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  My family is in love with my recent (and hope to be ongoing) bread baking adventures.


Comments

Thanks for sharing! Your rolls look so pretty, too. I'm so glad you liked them!
Kristen, they were delicious!! I have been great at making biscuits, but not rolls over the years, and I am thrilled you shared and I made time to try them.
Rain said…
Those rolls both look very yummy! Nice to try new recipes isn't it? I love doing that!
mamasmercantile said…
They do look good. I think I have said before, I have got lazy in recent years and use a bread making machine.
marmee said…
Hi! Can you maybe post the recipe for those beautiful rolls?
Susan said…
Oh, my. These rolls just make me want to cry! They look delicious and how great that they can be made in steps, since you are one of the business women I know!
Thank you everyone. As for the recipes, I have the second one linked to her blog. Just click on her name and it's link to the recipe on her blog. You'll enjoy her blog too. As for the other. I'm working on getting it added to this post with permission from Kristen. I'll be back.
RB said…
Oh my goodness!!! These look wonderful. Is there anything in the world that tastes or smells better than fresh baked breads or rolls (of any kind really)? Yum!!!
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart