Skip to main content

Hot, Humid and Down Right Uncomfortable

Rain was in the forecast yesterday, so I decided to do a long workout, then go out and pick what I could, and return to the indoors.  I baked burger buns for a grill out dinner.....


....blanched and froze swiss chard....



...prepped kale for today's breakfast, and picked a few radishes to enjoy.  I hunted around the pantry and found more green tomato salsas, so I cooked up some freezer corn and made a dish of black bean and corn salsa.  However, the heat was horrible.  The humidity was painful.  It sucked the life right out of me.  The rain never arrived. Not one iota.  I felt so guilty for not being in that garden.  


While waiting on Hubby to arrive from work, I took this crochet work to the very humid, no breeze in sight, front porch.  Hubby brought out an extension cord and a fan, so we could grill our burgers comfortably and retreat to the indoors to enjoy them.  It literally was too hot to enjoy the porch.  I am thankful we had such a nice breeze during the grad party however.  I also took 5 minutes for me, although I should have done it inside, ha ha!

Today, it's again a high of 91°F.  No rain.  Full sunshine.  So, the decision is whether to hit the garden early, and work out later, or just garden. Or no garden.  It's going to be another very hot, and dry day.   I know I have peas to pick, but I'm thinkin' it's another day indoors.  No breeze again today.  I'm sure I'll be putting a fan on the chicken coop and taking my ladies some ice chips.

Stay cool!

Comments

Susan said…
My least favorite weather! We have been struggling with the same, but a cold front finally came through and it is now raining. The relief is amazing! Do you just put ice chips in a bowl for your hens, or float them in water? Mine might appreciate the same.
Susan, I just put it in a bowl, but I should put it their water too. I can't wait for a cool down. Whew!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart