Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Rhubarb Ginger Jam

We have waited 3 long years to finally get a good harvest of our rhubarb.  I have made a BBQ rhubarb sauce in the past (and loved it), so I am taste testing a new jam recipe - Rhubarb Ginger Jam.

 I originally found the recipe in this cookbook....



...but it calls for "calcium water" and only a few specialty stores sell that specific pectin.    I just googled the same recipe online and found one that didn't call for calcium water. 


  It was not on my "rainy day" to-do list, but it was something I have wanted to make.  On Tuesday it was cold, raining, and very windy.  

We taste tested this last night too.  Oh my gosh, it is a-maz-ing!  If you like ginger you'll want to make it.

Oh happy day to me!!  I went digging into the freezer to check on pumpkin supply, and found more frozen stuffed peppers.  A perfect ending to a rainy day - easy cooking.



8 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds so good! I've made the rhubarb BBQ sauce and it's one of my favorites - I'll have to Google it!

Rain said...

Enjoy your rhubarb! :) I love when I find stuff in the freezer ready to go. We had that kind of night last night. Neither felt like cooking and we found a few servings of Shepherd's pie at the back of the deep freezer, oh joy! :)

Mama Pea said...

Ha! Susan over at e-i-e-i-omg just wrote a funny blog post regarding your recipe calling for "calcium water." Check it out if you haven't already.

Your new jam recipe (without the calcium water!) sounds intriguing but with just the two of us here these days, I'm trying to cut down on how much jam I make. 'Cause, ya know, we just eat it if it's around. :o)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I think I will have to shop at some roadside stands for more rhubarb this spring. I want to fill my freezer too. Yum.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I am really enjoying these new recipes. I am making the BBQ sauce this week too. I love it and miss it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I have a jam maker for when I need to small batch jam/jelly. It makes it in a short time and only 4 jars. Otherwise, I do gift it at the holidays, so this may be one of them.

Sam I Am...... said...

I love rhubarb but can't grow it here. I had a big patch on the farm and my daughter grows it and brings me some when she comes in the summer. The jam sounds wonderful! I'm still working on cleaning out the freezers! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I am still working on last years freezer stash also. I have enough dried tomatoes for one more batch of seeded crackers. I have lots of green beans and corn yet too.