Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rhubarb BBQ Sauce


Once again Eating Well magazine provided a recipe that begged me to try.  My rhubarb is not ready to harvest this year, and I finally found some to buy.


I made pork tenderloin (organic), but decided to make it in a pulled pork version vs. baked (as the recipe instructed).  The sauce can be prepared ahead of time and frozen for future meals. 




Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
(from Eating Well Magazine)
*adapted with organic, homegrown, homemade ingredients


1 Tbsp. Olive
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1/4 cup ketchup 
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar (Bragg's, organic/nongmo)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper


Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add rhubarb, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the onion and rhubarb are soft, about 10 minutes.

Note:  I do buy Worcestershire sauce.  It takes a ba-zillion ingredients to make it from scratch. 




Here is a sneak peek at some handiwork I'm working on.  That is Aurora all stretched out on the bench.  She is the one cat that we often mistake for a raccoon.  Like the other day when Daughter went to start up the mower.  I heard her scream, then start laughing.  Aurora had been sitting in the mower seat.  Ha ha ha!  I'll share more on the handiwork later.

I guess I am not driving chickens to butcher today.  The Hubs must have forgot.  He not only drove his truck to work, but all the coolers are in the back.  No vehicle, no coolers.  Hmm. His work is one hour from home, and the butchery is one hour from home in another direction.  No time to drive up and trade vehicles either.  Come to think of it, I don't even have the butchery's phone number.  Hubby does.  I best give him a ring-a-ding.  He most likely hasn't figured it out yet.

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Now THAT is an interesting recipe! Our rhubarb (the only thing ready to eat in the garden thus far!) is in full glory so I have plenty to use. Thanks for sharing.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the BBQ sauce was very good. I made a side of quinoa and put the pulled pork over that, and topped with the sauce. Delicious!

Sam I Am...... said...

Awesome recipe utilizing rhubarb because when you have it you have lots usually and are always looking for recipes for it.
To funny about the cat on the mower seat. She does look like a raccoon...is she one of those Maine Coon cats they talk about?
Your crochet looks interesting.
Have a great day!

Mama Pea said...

What a yummy sounding menu! Using the quinoa or millet (!) appeals to me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, Aurora is a long haired calico. She is what we call the "velcro" cat. She holds onto us with her claws when held.

Debby Flowers said...

Hi, I have never commented on your blog before, but do enjoy it very much. Going to have to try the Rhubarb BBQ... I've been thinking about Rhubarb Sweet & Sour Sauce actually. But what I wanted to say is that we have your cat Aurora's twin here in MN... honestly it's uncanny the resemblance. And Roye spends a lot of time writhing on her back too! She's really hard to photograph decently...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, thanks for visiting and writing a comment. Aurora is very hard to photograph, ha ha! She so full of cat fur.

Kev Alviti said...

This looks good! I must try it!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kev, thanks for stopping by. I make this using my home canned ketchup, but if you don't have access to tomatoes nor canning, you could locate organic ketchup in stores as well.