Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 18, 2017

More Random Tidbits


As promised, here is the next book I started to read.  It's an oldie from the shelf that I have had for a while.  Just something I picked up at a used book sale (many years ago).  It's about a wheat farmer in North Dakota in the early 30's. 


  

And this my folks, (both photos) are the books, aka my "library loot" my husband brought home on the back of his Harley the other day.  Yeah, and I am going to need a vehicle to return them all when done with them.

Yesterday morning, after getting all sweaty from an long overdue full blown exercise workout, I went directly outside and worked out in the garden again.  I am up-keeping and getting it ready to till.  Waiting, and waiting, on Hubby.  If the rain doesn't arrive, I'll be doing my "haul the hose" all 3000 feet (exaggerating) of it from the flower beds, way out to the garlic, which it cannot reach.

The garlic looks great, and I noticed that our own garlic (I planted three types last fall), looks the best that it ever has.  I have to walk watering cans from rain barrels to way out in the yonder to water them.

Somehow, in all the outside work, I managed to get two bowls of homemade condensed cheddar cheese soup made, and into the freezer.  It's a start to restock anyway.

Hubby worked over again last night.  So, I texted him a list and said "don't forget it."  We were completely out of chicken feed, and dog food is down to breakfast.  He forgot the dog food.  I'll have to whip up some oatmeal and veggies until he arrives, and hope the pups don't have issues with a food change for one meal.  And, hope he doesn't work over again.

Speaking of last night.  I marinated steaks and told him we were grilling out for dinner.  Three of us were slobbering over the wait for steaks.  I don't buy them often, as organic is over the roof expensive.  Anyway, Hubby said "2-3 over" in his text.  Meaning hours.  I calculated, and well, I got another text "I'll be another 1/2 hour..."  Ugh.  Then he texted one more time.  The wait was making me hungry.  So what did I do (not wanting to get dirty since I had already cleaned up)?

I took crochet, and wine to the front porch.  That is a newly started project I don't need to start as well, ha ha.  It was way too hot to work on larger projects, and I just wasn't feelin' it to crochet that dang granny square baby blanket. 


The only thing missing from that dinner plate was roasted rosemary asparagus. I was just too tired at that point, and we settled for meat and potatoes.  Slathered with Black and blue cheese butter with whiskey.  Oh my gosh, so good.  Nom, nom, nom.  It was 8pm when we ate that.  I held dinner off until Hubby arrived.  The weather is hot, hot, hot here.  We enjoyed dinner on the porch.

The list for the outdoor work is long.  I finally felt so overwhelmed I came directly inside yesterday and made a list of what needs done.  I have zero help this year, so I am trying to remain calm.  The coop needs mucked, the raspberry bed needs mulched, all fruit trees need mulched, roses out way by the road need weed whacked, raised beds need weed whacked, radishes need weeded, one felled tree remains on the ground, back flower bed needs weeded out badly.....the list is endless.  And now we have to tear a barn down.  Insurance reasons.  Not sure if we can get it all done, when it will get done, or how....but the barn has to go.  And a grad party will be here in early June...and I haven't started the planting of the rest of the vegetable garden yet...

"Breathe and stay calm..." I keep telling myself.  "Breathe and stay calm."



10 comments:

Tracy said...

You can only do what you can do - I so know where you're coming from though. We have a jobs list that we add to when we remember something and most of the time I look at it with excitement of what completing said job will achieve....but sometimes we look at it and feel overwhelmed!
The food looks delicious!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Tracy. I just crossed one thing off, but the bees were already out. I cut more nettle, but we have a ton of carpenter bees hanging around the barns. I thought if I went out at 7:30am, they wouldn't be out yet. Wrong. They are everywhere. I may have to order more bee traps. Anyway, I am happy (like you said) to get something crossed off the list.

Mama Pea said...

I seem to lose all efficiency when I'm faced with so, so much to do. It's like I'm paralyzed and can't do anything. I have to talk myself into just starting something, anything (!) to get myself going. But so often even when I do that, I look at something else and think that something else should be done first so I drop what I've started. And, believe you me, that kind of non-productive nonsense can go on all day! But, somehow, we still manage to get most everything done (eventually), don't we?

Debby Flowers said...

I know it's more desirable to salvage that wood, but if you are in a time crunch, can your local fire department help with that barn? Sometimes they like to light them up to use as practice for the firefighters. Hang in there. When my home list is huge (and when isn't it) I remind myself that I chose this lifestyle, this is my choice to live this way, this is what I want to do and it is all worth it. It will get done eventually. Virtual hug from me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I can get so side-tracked with chores, hence my list. Then I can focus on one thing, cross it off, and pick another. Yesterday I got two more crossed off.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, we actually talked to the fire dept. and they said the EPA gets after the about the old paint and burning it down etc. I almost ordered a lead paint kit to test it and still may do it, so they can burn it down. Said they had the equipment to keep the fire away from the other barns too. Thanks for the virtual hug. I needed that.

RB said...

It's hot hot hot here too, and dry dry dry. Yuck!!!
I have an idea regarding chores. Get yourself an appropriate sized white board or chalk board to list them all down on, and put it somewhere conspicuous like the refrigerator door where no one will have an excuse of "didn't see it". Then you're not the only one who knows ALL that needs to be done, and hey - if one of the kids needs an extra bit of money, point them toward the chore list and have them work for it. ;o)
Prayers we all get some rain soon - a gentle calm and soaking rain, not a gully washer please Lord.
God bless.
RB
<><

Debby Flowers said...

is that book about the wheat farmer a novel? How is it? Sounds interesting to me...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I just started the book, but it's good so far. It's about hard times, a depression era story.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I do have a white board on the side of the fridge. I had been using it to write down meal ideas for the week. I may just put a few jobs on there for the kids too. I have some written on sticky notes that are in the middle of the bathroom mirror (just setting some hints to my Hubby, ha ha!).