Skip to main content

Nettle ~ Lemon Balm ~ Allergy Tea and Me

I'll have to start getting outside much earlier to pick nettle.  I was out a 7:30am, but the bees were already awake and swarming.  It appears ants like nettle too.  I salvaged what I could.  Then it was a full workout inside, then back to the garden and flower beds.  I managed to un-bury the raspberry bushes, and clean up the roses out by the roadside.  I brought in a very large tick also.  I had a hat on, and it fell from my hair (also tied up) and onto my shoulder.  Thankfully, I saw it before it attached.  It was very large, and I never get ticks.  I had forgotten to put on my tick oil (won't do that again).


The temperature heated up to 87°F so I
managed to quit before over-doing it.  I brought in more lemon balm and got that dehydrating, but that took much of my time as well.  No housework was done.  Zero. Oh wait, I spent about 10 minutes picking up in my own bedroom.

The tea infusion on the left is my "allergy" tea.  The one on the right is simply mullein.  When I came indoors, I was congested and had a sore throat.  I'm mixing up my allergy tea this year and plan to dry some golden rod this fall (for next year).  This current one contains more than nettle.  If it works better than just nettle, I will post the recipe.

All from the garden, and herb garden - roasted asparagus with rosemary.  Yum.   Believe it or not, our asparagus is still providing, and there is more coming up.  I'm also glad I had 8 last stuff peppers in the freezer too.  Dinner was super easy.

While dinner was in the oven, my tired Hubby was home from work somewhat on time.  He remembered to bring home dog food, then went straight out to the tomato patch to till for me.  However, it was halted as fast it he started.  A huge downpour fell from the sky.  The weatherman said no chance of rain until 9pm, and only 40%.  Glad I told him "no" to a motorcycle ride, and asked for the tilling to be done.  When he resumes after the ground dries up, he's teaching me so I can till while he's at work.  It's not a small one, so he's been hesitant, and looking to buy me a smaller one to use.

So today?  Well, the ground is too wet to weed anything, and there is not enough tilling done to plant tomato plants and bell peppers plants, or seeds etc.  Looks like I'm indoors today, which greatly needs it.  By evening I may try weeding a smaller flower bed.

Dinner is another easy one - turkey breast in one crock pot and veggies in another. 

The truck is done.  Now to figure a way to go get it after they close.  Hubby may drive directly there, pay them, get the keys and we'll go back for it - a lot of driving, but they were not expensive - $70.00.  I might.  Just might, get my car back to myself.  Just in time to pick up some plants for the vegetable garden. 

Comments

RB said…
Whew!!! You ARE busy.
Today I got a load of cat blankets out, all flats, before the neighbor started sending up great clouds of dust redoing his yard with a tractor.
I got the chickens fed and watered, then got the hummingbird feeders all brought in, cleaned and refilled. I still need to fill the bird feeder, but I'll wait a day or two for that, because I'm trying to wean them off the bird feeder now that nicer weather is here, although feeding them in the feeder outside the kitchen window is like Kitty TV, and it keeps the birds out of the chicken feed too.
Got the flats all brought back in. Need to fold them. Gonna go sit down for a snack and sip, and get that folding done.
Prayers everyone's having a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I had a humming bird fly under the porch and fly directly near me, then back out last week. A red and black one. First time for me to see one that wasn't green and yellow. Sounds like you are busy too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart