One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, June 3, 2013

From a Journal Junkie . . .


From the Homesteading Journal . . .

. . . made my own bird deterrent for the strawberry beds - recycled pie pan, string, and a piece of recycled tent pole.  I used what I had, considering the budget is tight right now (from the tile project).  Later in the day I saw robins snacking away as soon as the wind stopped (and the pie pans stopped banging away).  I guess I better start saving up for bird netting and supplies.  However, I did spray paint some small stones red, and placed them under the plants for now too.  We'll see if they return after pecking at a stone. 

. . . planted new curly parsley, and more tomatoes. 

 . . .in preparation for hot days, I started to save and fill empty plastic bottles with water.  They are being frozen to place in goat water buckets.


. . . the bathroom tile project continues - humidity is a huge factor in it's completion. I cannot wait to use my shower again.



. . .found a way to recycle the plastic from an old, broken portable closet.


. . . made a homemade non-toxic, herbal fusion, disinfectant.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results.  I can make it from everything in the garden, with the exception of the organic apple cider vinegar (for the recipe and others:  14 Bleach-Free Surface Disinfectants).


. . . dehydrated 2 lbs. of organic carrots (with another 2 lbs. to dehydrate) I bought on sale for $.99 at the grocery store.  The only bad part about buying these, is the leftover plastic bag.




From the Handiwork Journal. . .


. . .crocheted another rag rug.  It's made from old sheets and pillow cases. 



From the Family Journal . . .

 . . .my youngest daughter gets to spend a few days with her Grandma.

. . . my son surprised me by cleaning out the refrigerator.

. . . my allergies are flared up from spending so much time in the wind this past weekend.  I hope to get some relief today.



From the Gratitude Journal . . .

 Today I am thankful for:

~ Much cooler weather. It's nice to have a break from the heat.

~ My rose bushes blooming again. 

~ My herb garden.  It's come in use for more than just cooking and baking.

~ God's promises.

~ The quiet morning here today.  I can't hear anything, but birds, and my dehydrator.  

 


5 comments:

Sandra said...

I love your rag rugs.
I hope you find something that works to keep the birds out of your strawberries.
We need to find a way to keep them out of our pole building, they have taken over this year!

Michelle said...

Hi just a reminder.
This Thursday is the end of the craft swap. Please have your swaps mailed no later then this weekend. I know everyone is excited to see what they got. If you have received your swap, please let me know so that I may feature it and your blog on my sight.

EMMA said...

Your shower looks great.
I would be interested to know if the painted red pebbles work.
I make cleaner by soaking lemon rinds in white wine vinegar for three weeks then diluting it 50/50 with plain vinegar and adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil. I tried using herbs once but the product got mould after sitting for a few weeks.

RB said...

#1 - You can reuse plastic bags tied to sticks to keep critters from your garden. You can cut them into strips and tie to a stick, or just tie them to a stick whole. The wind will flutter them, and the critters don't like that.

#2 - I've reused plastic bags to crochet a rug for the bathroom and the deck. I cut them across so you're left with a bunch of long rings, then I loop the ring ends together, twist into a rough thread, and crochet away. You can either save like colors so you can make a pattern, or you can just do it piecemeal and end up with scatterings of color. They last quite a while. In the bathroom, I sprayed the bottom with a product that kept it from slipping across the floor.
And I betcha any $$$ you could also do them into strips (short for short pile and long for long pile) and use them to hook a rug with that hooking fabric stuff and a hooking needle. Do you know what that is?

God bless.

RB
<><

RB said...

Emma - I bet if you used Tea Tree Oil in your cleaner solution, mould wouldn't form.
It's natural, it's a disinfectant, and we love the scent it leaves in the house.
It's about $5 for a small bottle in the health section at Walmart, but lasts quite a while cause you don't use more than a few drops at each usage.

God bless.

RB
<><