Skip to main content

Bavarian Crochet ~ Deep Freeze Day 5 ~ Turkey Chili ~ Goats and Chickens


I can't let January pass by without learning something new.  I didn't even plan it either.  I had just been flipping through a huge pile of borrowed library books, and opened this one.





I grabbed my yarn and hook, and got to work.  I started another baby blanket for a baby due on Hubby's side of the family.  You can pretty much use any color of yarn for this type of crochet. 

Day 5 of the deep freeze?   Hot water in the kitchen, kitchen bathroom, and utility just kicked on about 3 minutes ago.  We are still waiting on some cold water pipes and the one shower, but thankful.  One of the kids got sick last night, so I am thankful the lines to my washing machine work too now.

The snow arrived, and the drifting is bad on the roads.  The gym is closed all weekend due to weather, so I plan to exercise at home.   My shoulder is really messing with my routine here.  It's more of a frustration, but I'm heating it until the weather (and weekend) passes.  

I made a crock pot Turkey Chili yesterday that the kids raved about.  I had ground turkey on hand, so I made it with that.  Sorry for not having a photo, but the recipe is versatile.  It can be made up to 2 days prior and chilled, can be frozen, and leftovers can be used for enchiladas.   I am about out of dehydrated green peppers already.

The goats are handling the cold weather pretty well.  Daughter said that they were all huddled up in one pile, and did not even get up when she went out in the morning.  One is due to have babies next month.

The chickens are faithfully laying eggs throughout this winter. I'm glad we invested in more Barred Rocks.  They appear to be much hardier (and get sick less often) compared the Rhode Island reds we once had. 

More snow is expected, but I plan to start cleaning now that I have hot water and a functional washing machine.  Thank goodness that "Maybelline" (my dryer) is working too.  I'm going to need her today.

Comments

Kelly said…
Bavarian crochet is pretty! I thought I had it bad with just the cold. I can't imagine frozen pipes :/ Try to stay warm!
Sam I Am...... said…
So glad you have some hot water finally! I hope you stay warm and safe with your storms and that your pipes stay thawed now.
I've never tried Bavarian crochet but I've seen that pattern before but I never knew what it was called. Very pretty and perfect for a baby blanket.
I'll be trying that chili as I love your recipes and anything that I can put in the crock pot for sure! Thanks!
Carolyn said…
I agree, the Bavarian crochet is very pretty. I may have to look it up one day.

Hope the rest of the house thaws and that your little spell of sickness in the house leaves quickly.

Barred Rocks and Black Sex Links are my favorite breed of chicken for eggs.
Mama Pea said…
Great to hear your water situation has taken a turn for the better!

The Bavarian crochet is beautiful. I've never seen it before.

Wish our chickens were laying. Yesterday our production doubled . . . up to 2 from one a day! Ugh. Not nearly enough for this household. But our weather continues to stay below zero so I guess we can't blame the gals too much. They're using all their energy to stay warm.
GardenOfDaisies said…
How beautiful! I'll have to learn how to do this stitch,

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart