Skip to main content

Using Apples and Kitchen-ness ~ Soup for the Sick ~ Hot Peppers




I tried a new apple oatmeal breakfast dish to change up breakfast.  It's called Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal, and if you have canned applesauce from last year you need to eat up, this recipe is for you.   I used one apple from our trees as well. The recipe is online with "The Real Food Dietitians" and honestly, I have no idea how I found it.  It has 1/4 cup maple syrup/honey in it, but in moderation, it did not bother my husband's sugar levels.


I made these banana muffins a second time.  I noticed the recipe does not call for salt, but calls for baking powder.  I added 1/4 tsp. salt this time.  They contain organic quick steel cut oats and Einkorn flour, and no sugar/sweeteners.




 
Homemade Granola.  I think I used every measuring cup and spoon I own ha ha!


I used one of our apples to make a mayo free slaw salad.  It was pretty good too.  Simply juice from a lemon, some olive oil and salt.  I added chives from the herb garden.   It was 1/4th of a cabbage, one carrot, one apple, and some chives from the herb garden.

I was prepared to whip up a mayo free dressing, if needed, but we like it this way.  Just something different to try, and healthy.




Meals were adjusted again, off the meal plan.  I had some barley that needed used up, so I ended up making a vegetable barley soup.  My husband was still not feeling well.  I roasted a rutabaga and added it to the soup.

I went out to pick jalapenos for our next meal this week, and it was slim pickin's.  Not much.  I was hoping for a round of "fire powder to end the season, but there is not much out there.  

We are to have a few cooler days, but we warm back up to the 80's soon, so I'm am hopeful, but I guess we'll see.  I did not check the bell peppers, but will today unless it's raining.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words regarding my husband being sick.  He came home with a runny nose.  I brewed up a few cups of hot yarrow tea, and he was feeling much better this morning.


Comments

Carol said…
That oatmeal looks divine! I would like it and may try it for my breakfast soon
Carol, we both loved this recipe for baked oatmeal. Sometimes it comes out too dry, but this was delicious. Drizzle with maple syrup, honey or yogurt.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart