Skip to main content

Pie Crust Crumbles

I put this re-stock job off until winter, as I did some other projects.  I have mostly used these to bake pies to take to potlucks or family get togethers.  I know you can bake pie shells and then freeze them, but I do not have the space for that.  It's easier for me to find space for pie crust crumbles, as they are mostly flat in the freezer bag.


I followed a tip on the recipe site - freeze butter and use the food processor to dice it up, with just a bit of the flour mixture.


I use a scale to weigh out the final mix.

We are not able to eat an entire pie ourselves, but I like to have them on hand for when the kids are over for a meal or holiday meal as well.  They also come in handy if a family is in need of a meal.

It uses less freezer space vs. an entirely made pie crust, and simple to make when I need it.  I triple the crust recipe, and bag up enough for 6 pie crusts.  I also freeze my unsalted butter in freezer bags, so it's already in house for this to be made.  I do need to re-stock my butter.

The recipe is on King Arthur Flour Blog.  You can find it:  HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart