Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Roasted Rutabaga ~ Goldenrod Paradise

 I have attempted to try this vegetable more than once (back between 2012 and 2015, but could not find it here locally.  Finally, we have found it at one store recently.

I roasted it with olive oil and salt and pepper, to get an idea of the flavor we are working with.  I was told it would taste like a golden potato, by roasting it this way.  It did not, but it was delicious, and creamy in the center. I peeled it, diced it and tossed it in olive oil.  I sprinkled it with salt and pepper both.  I roasted it at 425°F for 40 minutes (stirring half way during roasting time).  

A rutabaga is a cross between cabbage and a turnip.  It is a root vegetable.  Do you grow rutabagas in your garden?  We are considering it, as we have a terrible time finding it in our stores (or any farm stand) in our area.

I have one more to experiment with, and I hope to return to the same store and get a few more.








I did not get any answers about the bee keeper's inquiry on keeping bees on our property.  It is a haven for bees already.  I harvested some goldenrod, and I can tell you we have no shortage of bees.  My husband said, "it sounds like you need to keep bees for honey."  Yeah, sounds grand and all, but I am not ready to add more work to my days around here.  

I do not know any local people, that have a bee keeper's bees on their private property.  I think we are going to refrain from this offer (see yesterday's post).  One we have a ton of bees already, and two I do not want someone we do not know coming to the property to check on the bees whenever they want either.  I don't think it's worth it, just for the exchange of honey (which I buy local already, and we do not use it in large quantities).


10 comments:

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

I live in England where they call rutabaga swede. But I'm actually from Northern Ireland, and we call it turnip. But the english have a different vegetable altogether that they call turnip which the Northern Irish don't seem to have a word for. It all so confusing LOL I like to eat turnip (rutabaga) raw - mmmm so crunchy

Bev from Northern CA said...

Referring to your post about bee hives upon your property. We have had hives in past years. We got rid of our hives because we worried about our liability insurance. Some people are allergic to bee stings. Someone could trespass, having company, especially children, who are curious, etc. Dealing with a second party owning the bees and on your property. Too many variables and worries.

Hummingbird said...

I think your decision to pass on the bee keeping is a good one. You don't know this man and he would likely be making many hundreds or thousands of dollars on the honey produced and he offered you a "free" quart of honey-next year? No thanks!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jill, that is very interesting. I like kohlrabi raw. We may have to try rutabaga raw too. Thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bev, thank you for that input. I have been talking it over with my husband, and we don't want someone else to come in and take our bees here. We had great pollination on the gardens this year. Like you said, and how I feel - too many variables and worries.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Hummingbird, thanks. I agree. When he left my husband was all for it. I told him for 50 back there? He didn't hear the guy when he said he owns 100 bee boxes. Nope. Just not gonna do it. He also told us his parents have his bees and have been stung a few times. No thanks.

Jackie said...

We grew rutabaga for a number of years and should probably do so again next year. I really like it as a substitute for turnips.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, we are considering it to replace potatoes in some recipes, but not all recipes. I'll have to see about getting seeds or see if our local greenhouse sells starter plants in the spring.

Agent X, not said...

Good decision on bees that belong to someone else. IMHO you did not overthink the issue, approached it logically and with care. We cannot have bees in the city, however friends with country acreage, had all the same concerns mentioned by Bev. I do hope people continue with the hobby who are able. Love the local honey varieties.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Agent X, not, I too hope others continue to sell honey. I'm not ready to add more work to my routine, and we found honey we love that is about 1 hour from here.