Skip to main content

Roasted Rutabaga ~ Goldenrod Paradise

 I have attempted to try this vegetable more than once (back between 2012 and 2015, but could not find it here locally.  Finally, we have found it at one store recently.

I roasted it with olive oil and salt and pepper, to get an idea of the flavor we are working with.  I was told it would taste like a golden potato, by roasting it this way.  It did not, but it was delicious, and creamy in the center. I peeled it, diced it and tossed it in olive oil.  I sprinkled it with salt and pepper both.  I roasted it at 425°F for 40 minutes (stirring half way during roasting time).  

A rutabaga is a cross between cabbage and a turnip.  It is a root vegetable.  Do you grow rutabagas in your garden?  We are considering it, as we have a terrible time finding it in our stores (or any farm stand) in our area.

I have one more to experiment with, and I hope to return to the same store and get a few more.








I did not get any answers about the bee keeper's inquiry on keeping bees on our property.  It is a haven for bees already.  I harvested some goldenrod, and I can tell you we have no shortage of bees.  My husband said, "it sounds like you need to keep bees for honey."  Yeah, sounds grand and all, but I am not ready to add more work to my days around here.  

I do not know any local people, that have a bee keeper's bees on their private property.  I think we are going to refrain from this offer (see yesterday's post).  One we have a ton of bees already, and two I do not want someone we do not know coming to the property to check on the bees whenever they want either.  I don't think it's worth it, just for the exchange of honey (which I buy local already, and we do not use it in large quantities).


Comments

I live in England where they call rutabaga swede. But I'm actually from Northern Ireland, and we call it turnip. But the english have a different vegetable altogether that they call turnip which the Northern Irish don't seem to have a word for. It all so confusing LOL I like to eat turnip (rutabaga) raw - mmmm so crunchy
Referring to your post about bee hives upon your property. We have had hives in past years. We got rid of our hives because we worried about our liability insurance. Some people are allergic to bee stings. Someone could trespass, having company, especially children, who are curious, etc. Dealing with a second party owning the bees and on your property. Too many variables and worries.
Hummingbird said…
I think your decision to pass on the bee keeping is a good one. You don't know this man and he would likely be making many hundreds or thousands of dollars on the honey produced and he offered you a "free" quart of honey-next year? No thanks!
Jill, that is very interesting. I like kohlrabi raw. We may have to try rutabaga raw too. Thanks.
Bev, thank you for that input. I have been talking it over with my husband, and we don't want someone else to come in and take our bees here. We had great pollination on the gardens this year. Like you said, and how I feel - too many variables and worries.
Hummingbird, thanks. I agree. When he left my husband was all for it. I told him for 50 back there? He didn't hear the guy when he said he owns 100 bee boxes. Nope. Just not gonna do it. He also told us his parents have his bees and have been stung a few times. No thanks.
Jackie said…
We grew rutabaga for a number of years and should probably do so again next year. I really like it as a substitute for turnips.

God bless.
Jackie, we are considering it to replace potatoes in some recipes, but not all recipes. I'll have to see about getting seeds or see if our local greenhouse sells starter plants in the spring.
Agent X, not said…
Good decision on bees that belong to someone else. IMHO you did not overthink the issue, approached it logically and with care. We cannot have bees in the city, however friends with country acreage, had all the same concerns mentioned by Bev. I do hope people continue with the hobby who are able. Love the local honey varieties.
Agent X, not, I too hope others continue to sell honey. I'm not ready to add more work to my routine, and we found honey we love that is about 1 hour from here.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart