Skip to main content

Everything in Abundance ~ Canned Banana Peppers

(canned 8-26-2011, last jar used 9/1/2012)

We haven't been able to get a break this past week.  It seems that the Lord is blessing us in abundance, and all at the same time - eggs, tomatoes, peppers, pears, etc.


It doesn't stop with just eggs either.  Once I start making noodles, I make angel food cake with the whites.  Pears are the same.  What's leftover from jam making, is eaten, made into cakes, canned and so forth.

So, for breakfast I made our favorite recipe from Rachel Ray.  We've been making it for years now.  For our family, I double it.  It's  wonderful for lunch, dinner, and after school snacking.  It re-heats nicely too.

Here it is:

Cheddar and Chile Egg Casserole
 (source: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/breakfast-brunch-recipes/cheddar-and-chile-egg-casserole)

4 servings 



Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 5 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 4 ounce can  diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, chiles, flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Pour into the prepared dish and bake until set, about 35 minutes.

Note:  I don't use butter, I typically use olive oil.  I buy my cottage cheese when it's been marked down and when my eggs are in abundance.  I also have been using my own home canned banana peppers in place of the green chiles.  I just had them, so I tried it one day.  Banana peppers don't can well.  They get mushy.  Last year, when I was experimenting with recipes and banana peppers, I canned them with a jalapeno pepper.  It flavors this dish wonderfully, and I know they are organic.  I may can more this way, simply for this recipe.  I don't add the canned jalapeno pepper to this dish, but if you wanted more heat, you probably could.

So, if you have extra banana peppers, and don't know what to do with them, this is one idea.  I do plan on planting chile peppers next year too.

Comments

Kim said…
Just wanted to let you know I love reading all about your daily dealings on the farm. Things all seem to be coming in at one time around here too. Also I wanted to tell you that if will add a 1/2 tsp. of alum per pint on your hot peppers they will stay "brickle". I add it to peppers and pickles.
Candy C. said…
I say thanks to Kim too!! :)
I make a similar egg dish too using locally grown and roasted green chiles.
Unknown said…
Have you tired drying the banana peppers?
I have not thought about drying the peppers. This year we planted less of them, but may dry some next year. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...