Skip to main content

Everything in Abundance ~ Canned Banana Peppers

(canned 8-26-2011, last jar used 9/1/2012)

We haven't been able to get a break this past week.  It seems that the Lord is blessing us in abundance, and all at the same time - eggs, tomatoes, peppers, pears, etc.


It doesn't stop with just eggs either.  Once I start making noodles, I make angel food cake with the whites.  Pears are the same.  What's leftover from jam making, is eaten, made into cakes, canned and so forth.

So, for breakfast I made our favorite recipe from Rachel Ray.  We've been making it for years now.  For our family, I double it.  It's  wonderful for lunch, dinner, and after school snacking.  It re-heats nicely too.

Here it is:

Cheddar and Chile Egg Casserole
 (source: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/breakfast-brunch-recipes/cheddar-and-chile-egg-casserole)

4 servings 



Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 5 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 4 ounce can  diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, chiles, flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Pour into the prepared dish and bake until set, about 35 minutes.

Note:  I don't use butter, I typically use olive oil.  I buy my cottage cheese when it's been marked down and when my eggs are in abundance.  I also have been using my own home canned banana peppers in place of the green chiles.  I just had them, so I tried it one day.  Banana peppers don't can well.  They get mushy.  Last year, when I was experimenting with recipes and banana peppers, I canned them with a jalapeno pepper.  It flavors this dish wonderfully, and I know they are organic.  I may can more this way, simply for this recipe.  I don't add the canned jalapeno pepper to this dish, but if you wanted more heat, you probably could.

So, if you have extra banana peppers, and don't know what to do with them, this is one idea.  I do plan on planting chile peppers next year too.

Comments

Kim said…
Just wanted to let you know I love reading all about your daily dealings on the farm. Things all seem to be coming in at one time around here too. Also I wanted to tell you that if will add a 1/2 tsp. of alum per pint on your hot peppers they will stay "brickle". I add it to peppers and pickles.
Candy C. said…
I say thanks to Kim too!! :)
I make a similar egg dish too using locally grown and roasted green chiles.
Unknown said…
Have you tired drying the banana peppers?
I have not thought about drying the peppers. This year we planted less of them, but may dry some next year. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart