Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Everything in Abundance ~ Canned Banana Peppers

(canned 8-26-2011, last jar used 9/1/2012)

We haven't been able to get a break this past week.  It seems that the Lord is blessing us in abundance, and all at the same time - eggs, tomatoes, peppers, pears, etc.


It doesn't stop with just eggs either.  Once I start making noodles, I make angel food cake with the whites.  Pears are the same.  What's leftover from jam making, is eaten, made into cakes, canned and so forth.

So, for breakfast I made our favorite recipe from Rachel Ray.  We've been making it for years now.  For our family, I double it.  It's  wonderful for lunch, dinner, and after school snacking.  It re-heats nicely too.

Here it is:

Cheddar and Chile Egg Casserole
 (source: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/breakfast-brunch-recipes/cheddar-and-chile-egg-casserole)

4 servings 



Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 5 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 4 ounce can  diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, chiles, flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Pour into the prepared dish and bake until set, about 35 minutes.

Note:  I don't use butter, I typically use olive oil.  I buy my cottage cheese when it's been marked down and when my eggs are in abundance.  I also have been using my own home canned banana peppers in place of the green chiles.  I just had them, so I tried it one day.  Banana peppers don't can well.  They get mushy.  Last year, when I was experimenting with recipes and banana peppers, I canned them with a jalapeno pepper.  It flavors this dish wonderfully, and I know they are organic.  I may can more this way, simply for this recipe.  I don't add the canned jalapeno pepper to this dish, but if you wanted more heat, you probably could.

So, if you have extra banana peppers, and don't know what to do with them, this is one idea.  I do plan on planting chile peppers next year too.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Just wanted to let you know I love reading all about your daily dealings on the farm. Things all seem to be coming in at one time around here too. Also I wanted to tell you that if will add a 1/2 tsp. of alum per pint on your hot peppers they will stay "brickle". I add it to peppers and pickles.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kim!

Candy C. said...

I say thanks to Kim too!! :)
I make a similar egg dish too using locally grown and roasted green chiles.

Unknown said...

Have you tired drying the banana peppers?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have not thought about drying the peppers. This year we planted less of them, but may dry some next year. Thanks.