Skip to main content

Storing Ginger Root ~ Loony Lane ~ Peaches

 I have stored ginger root in my freezer for years.  I simply wash and dry it on a vegetable drying mat.

I wrap each piece in plastic wrap, and tuck into a freezer bag.  I simply take it out when I need it, and re-wrap it and put it back in the freezer.

Recently, I have learned of a second way to store it.  Thanks to the cooking channel and learning new tips and tricks in the kitchen.



Cut and peel the ginger root.  Place in an air tight glass jar with sherry or brandy, and place in your refrigerator.  Hm.  It will be nice to have it already peeled.


I've dubbed my home "loony lane" for this month.  My husband is putting down the hammer, added with a time limit, to get the bedroom packed up and off the carpet.  The problem is, he doesn't understand I can't do it all by myself with that amount of time.

I swear, he is going to make me lose my mind.  I had to drag him into the walk-in closet and explain that everything on two shelving units has to be packed up and those shelves, that sit on the carpet have to move too.  This next renovation is gonna get the best of me.

Despite trying to get him to do anything before he goes to work, I am trying to get stuff done.  He felt guilty the other day and got off the sofa and installed two electrical boxes.  His wacky schedule causes him to want to sit around and do nothing before work.

I had almost forgot, that I thawed peaches from the freezer, but thankfully got the peach crumble baked.  You can see someone couldn't help himself before it cooled enough.

Oh, and every day I spray the pet pee areas on the upstairs wood floor, let it sit, then wipe it.  I will have to do a few more applications, and then I think we'll be ready to put the gym foam flooring down.  So far, it's working on removing the odor from the flooring.  I have the spare bedroom to do yet though.

It's a wee bit cold here but all the hens are laying daily thankfully.  The weather forecast is for snow tomorrow.  Snow.  yes I said snow.  Looking outside the window, you would never now.

Comments

Hummingbird said…
We own a painting company. To effectively seal in pet odors, apply a product called Kilz. In really bad cases, you may have to apply shellac. We have to do it all of the time. With the vinegar treatment, the smell can and likely will return-especially if the area gets wet.
Carol said…
We are supposed to have snow as well. My husband does not like to do home projects either and then is mad that I "nag" him about them. Well, I don't always feel like doing the things I have to either, but they get done NO MATTER WHAT
Carol, we are definitely getting the work done, but now I have to stop painting trim in the hallway. Oh well. It will look nice when it's all done.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart