Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Storing Ginger Root ~ Loony Lane ~ Peaches

 I have stored ginger root in my freezer for years.  I simply wash and dry it on a vegetable drying mat.

I wrap each piece in plastic wrap, and tuck into a freezer bag.  I simply take it out when I need it, and re-wrap it and put it back in the freezer.

Recently, I have learned of a second way to store it.  Thanks to the cooking channel and learning new tips and tricks in the kitchen.



Cut and peel the ginger root.  Place in an air tight glass jar with sherry or brandy, and place in your refrigerator.  Hm.  It will be nice to have it already peeled.


I've dubbed my home "loony lane" for this month.  My husband is putting down the hammer, added with a time limit, to get the bedroom packed up and off the carpet.  The problem is, he doesn't understand I can't do it all by myself with that amount of time.

I swear, he is going to make me lose my mind.  I had to drag him into the walk-in closet and explain that everything on two shelving units has to be packed up and those shelves, that sit on the carpet have to move too.  This next renovation is gonna get the best of me.

Despite trying to get him to do anything before he goes to work, I am trying to get stuff done.  He felt guilty the other day and got off the sofa and installed two electrical boxes.  His wacky schedule causes him to want to sit around and do nothing before work.

I had almost forgot, that I thawed peaches from the freezer, but thankfully got the peach crumble baked.  You can see someone couldn't help himself before it cooled enough.

Oh, and every day I spray the pet pee areas on the upstairs wood floor, let it sit, then wipe it.  I will have to do a few more applications, and then I think we'll be ready to put the gym foam flooring down.  So far, it's working on removing the odor from the flooring.  I have the spare bedroom to do yet though.

It's a wee bit cold here but all the hens are laying daily thankfully.  The weather forecast is for snow tomorrow.  Snow.  yes I said snow.  Looking outside the window, you would never now.

4 comments:

Hummingbird said...

We own a painting company. To effectively seal in pet odors, apply a product called Kilz. In really bad cases, you may have to apply shellac. We have to do it all of the time. With the vinegar treatment, the smell can and likely will return-especially if the area gets wet.

Carol said...

We are supposed to have snow as well. My husband does not like to do home projects either and then is mad that I "nag" him about them. Well, I don't always feel like doing the things I have to either, but they get done NO MATTER WHAT

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Hummingbird thanks

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, we are definitely getting the work done, but now I have to stop painting trim in the hallway. Oh well. It will look nice when it's all done.