Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Leggy Beet Seedlings

I started a tray of beets indoors this year for the first time ever.

After they sprouted they started to get leggy.  I wasn't sure if they were under watered or over watered or what. 

I did what most people do.  I asked Google.  It said to put more light on them.  I did that, and nothing changed.

...they look like this.  Too much water or not enough?  Not enough light?  I've tried it all, but that tray doesn't hold much soil either.  

2 comments:

Debi said...

I've discovered that having my grow lights too far away from the plants makes them leggy as they stretch to get closer to the light. When I first plant my seeds I put the lights quite close and then slowly move them up as the plants sprout and start to grow. But it seems like it can be anything that causes the legginess... too much water, too little water, too much light, too little light, the position of the moon on Mondays and Wednesdays... just kidding, I made that last one up! Good luck... other than being a little leggy they look nice and healthy.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, thank you for the laugh, ha ha! I am lowering their lights for now.