Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Another Day of Corn ~ Random Tidbits ~ Update on the Strawberry Vodka

(last batch cooling before freezing)

I had just slightly less than a bushel to shuck.  Thankfully, youngest was home, so I had help.  Sure makes it go faster, so I can get other jobs done too.  The chickens just love the leftovers (cobs).  The corn was good by the way, just not over the top better than anything, but good.

I was disappointed at the fact about every other cob had worms spots on them.  



I never had this with our last source, but it does go to show you it's homegrown I guess.  Our popcorn was eaten by moles and a wild turkey a few years ago.  Un-sprayed I might add.



Tiger never fails to crack me up.  He was right in that bag of corn chewing on the husks.  What's with cats and corn husks? 


When I first strained this strawberry vodka, I wasn't impressed at the time. The smell was fantastic but not the taste.  Since then we've let it sit, and tasted it again.  Wow!  It was soooo good.  Yes, we'll make it again, but it's a summer thing.  I would only make this with fresh hand


Tried another new recipe - melting potatoes, baked in the oven in my cast iron pan.  

Recipe is online (potatoes are by Katie Lee, baked french toast is from allrecipes).  They were fantastic.  Warning though....recipe requires a lot of butter.  I won't make these that often, but oh so good!

Baked french toast was a huge hit and didn't last long here.  I wish I could find organic pork to make homemade sausage to go with it next time.  Hmpf.  I will take two pans to the next breakfast though.  It was delicious.

My butterfly water dish has to be filled often.  I caught Rorie drinking from it, ha ha! (barn cat).

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I am so tempted by those potatoes they look delicious...I do need to be stronger and try and lose a few pounds.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, the potatoes were out of this world good. Especially with the fresh rosemary sprigs in them. Just has a lot of butter though. I'll make these maybe once or twice a year lol!