Skip to main content

Another Day of Corn ~ Random Tidbits ~ Update on the Strawberry Vodka

(last batch cooling before freezing)

I had just slightly less than a bushel to shuck.  Thankfully, youngest was home, so I had help.  Sure makes it go faster, so I can get other jobs done too.  The chickens just love the leftovers (cobs).  The corn was good by the way, just not over the top better than anything, but good.

I was disappointed at the fact about every other cob had worms spots on them.  



I never had this with our last source, but it does go to show you it's homegrown I guess.  Our popcorn was eaten by moles and a wild turkey a few years ago.  Un-sprayed I might add.



Tiger never fails to crack me up.  He was right in that bag of corn chewing on the husks.  What's with cats and corn husks? 


When I first strained this strawberry vodka, I wasn't impressed at the time. The smell was fantastic but not the taste.  Since then we've let it sit, and tasted it again.  Wow!  It was soooo good.  Yes, we'll make it again, but it's a summer thing.  I would only make this with fresh hand


Tried another new recipe - melting potatoes, baked in the oven in my cast iron pan.  

Recipe is online (potatoes are by Katie Lee, baked french toast is from allrecipes).  They were fantastic.  Warning though....recipe requires a lot of butter.  I won't make these that often, but oh so good!

Baked french toast was a huge hit and didn't last long here.  I wish I could find organic pork to make homemade sausage to go with it next time.  Hmpf.  I will take two pans to the next breakfast though.  It was delicious.

My butterfly water dish has to be filled often.  I caught Rorie drinking from it, ha ha! (barn cat).

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
I am so tempted by those potatoes they look delicious...I do need to be stronger and try and lose a few pounds.
mamasmercantile, the potatoes were out of this world good. Especially with the fresh rosemary sprigs in them. Just has a lot of butter though. I'll make these maybe once or twice a year lol!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart