Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ Pumpkin Hummus


The carrots are all out of the ground - 7.7# more. I got them all out after a day of rain, but it was so wet out there.  I could not pull dead plants, and then the rain returned this morning.  With a vengeance.  This puts all garden work, and barn work to a halt.



Walking to the mailbox, and passing the herb garden yesterday, I realized I haven't stocked up on some herbs.  Dehydrator is going strong this week.  Or was.  The rain halted this too.

New recipe:  Pumpkin Hummus.  I had one pint of pumpkin (from last year) that needed rotated out of the freezer.  It was hummus or pumpkin pancakes.  Hummus won.

The taste test?   

I'll let you know after we taste it tonight.  I'm going to guess it will taste similar to the butternut squash hummus I made, but different spices.


I had all kinds of ideas before I woke up this morning, but I'm not feeling it.  I thought it would be nice to can another batch of carrot cake jam, but I'll do it another day.  My gusto and lack of umpf just got up and left.  There are days like this, but thankfully not often. It's the reality of gardening - work. I will be lucky if I just get the 7.7# of carrots in the freezer today.

 I hope your day is filled with energy.  Send some my way.  I'll be sitting on the porch later, crocheting or knitting, or reading, or writing...and waiting for the zap of zippity to return.  A day of rest is good for the body and soul.  And mind.




Comments

Vicki said…
Get up and go just got up and left? Happens entirely too often around here. But on the other hand, nothing wrong with a little porch sitting. That is good for the soul.
Vicki, I think this fall rainy day has gotten me a bit lazy too, ha ha! The porch is definitely calling me today. If I can stay dry on it. The wind is kicking up now.
Rain said…
I think a day of rest is needed at times...it's hard to justify it when there is so much to do though. I've taken a morning of rest just before I get out in the garden, then into the kitchen. Pumpkin hummus sounds interesting!
Rain, I'm so ready for a day off, even though I took Sunday off, ha ha!
Sam I Am...... said…
I feel like you deserve it and I've found that sometimes I have energy every other day and I try to plan accordingly...especially if you do 'heavy-lifting' on one day maybe plan on something less strenuous the next....sounds like you're doing exactly that!
Sam I Am, I am trying to keep a better balance this fall. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart