Skip to main content

Habanero-Apricot Jelly

Preserving continues....
 

I started the early morning (yesterday) by canning one batch of habanero-apricot jelly with some of the habanero peppers.  


We enjoy this jam on biscuits, rolls, crackers with cream cheese, on meats etc. It comes in handy for family/friend gatherings for appetizers and snacks.


 (3 half-pints, 6 - 4 oz. jars)

 It has good flavor, but it's not spicy hot like you'd think.  The sugar cuts the heat in this recipe, and I'm too chicken to cut the sugar and end up with runny jelly.  It's good on chicken, wings, etc. as well.


The rest of the habaneros were frozen, along with the majority of jalapenos.  I kept a few out for meals/pizza etc.



Comments

mamasmercantile said…
I do like the sound of that, you are certainly very industrious with all your canning.
Susan said…
Oh, that looks good!
mamasmercantile, my family gets spoiled, that's for sure.
Susan, I want to can it again if this week's heat gives me more habaneros. Only the next batch, I want to leave seeds in and see if it gets more heat (Hubby likes a "hot" pepper jelly).
Mama Pea said…
I'm trying to be braver in cooking with "hot" peppers. I think it's capsaicin in them that's supposed to be so good for us. Sounds as though your jelly would be good!
Mama Pea, I freeze a lot of our jalapeno peppers, most of the hot banana too. I like to grind a combination of hot peppers for my "fire powder" too. Hubby likes to put the cowboy candy on anything almost.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart