Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 24, 2017

No Rain ~ The Jungle ~ Our Lamancha Goats passing hands again

We were to get rain all day the other day, and got  a 1 second sprinkle.  The garden really needs it too.

In the meantime, I wrapped up my leg really good (I didn't want dirt in it) and went out to weed the jungle of my herb garden.  I needed to get in it to start dehydrating for winter.

One hour later, my left eye started to itch and burn.  Sure enough when I came inside, it was red and swollen.  Allergies.  I am almost out of nettle, so I whipped up a cup of nettle, ginger and peppermint tea.



I sipped it on the porch while working on a small piece of handiwork.  I almost went back inside for a jacket, it was that cool.  In fact, last night, we stole off on a short motorcycle ride (after pulling leather boots on swollen feet), and I actually had to wear my leather coat.  Strange (and sort of scary) weather for August.

I need Hubby's assistance with the weeding.  I am sparing you the photos of the overgrowth.  Our Vet-Tech Daughter stopped in and told me I'll be done by winter time, ha ha!  Hubby needs to weed whip the edges to help me out. It's so out of control and I need control of this chaos.

I haven't gotten much from the garden yet, and I swear I saw frost on the car windshield this morning.  I sure hope I can get more tomatoes.  And dig up those potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and pull the popcorn yet.  

Oh.  We got in touch with the people who took our lamancha dairy goats.  I wanted to touch base and see about getting a small amount of milk to make soap with.  Guess what?  The father had to have back surgery (this is a young family too), and they passed our goats onto another family.  We don't know where they are now, and we are not sure if we'll have access to raw goat milk now.  I feel badly for the family too. I sure hope they are okay.  I am pretty sure one of the daughter's cannot drink cow's milk. 

I was up early today.  It's 55°F outside.  Cold. Too cold for August.  I took photos of Youngest before she left for school.  The bus now comes 1/2 hour later thankfully.  I asked her if 2nd day of school photos were okay.  She was okay with that. 

6 comments:

Susan said...

I am right there with you on the weeds. For some reason (how about almost constant rain?) the weeds this year are awful! I cannot keep up with them. I need to get into my herb bed, too, and will. As soon as I have time and it's not raining simultaneously. It was 46 degrees this morning. It IS scary!

Vicki said...

It is tough when things get out of control through no fault of your own. Frustrating. Our weather here in MN has been wonky, too, with nighttime temps in the 50's. It is way too early for that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, this weather is really starting to make me almost panic. Sheesh. I need to split a lot more wood before the snow arrives. And I have tons of work in between it all. Yeah, weeds can wait, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, it's nice to turn off air conditioners and great for sitting outside for a rest, but it's getting too cold too fast this year. I'll be posting some "jungle" pictures for you all soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

It is cool here in the a.m......60 this morning which I love but I did put a fleece jacket on. This is the season of no heat and no ac so I save a little moolah! LOL! But now the work begins outside again...seriously!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I hear ya. We have a ton of outside work, but canning season is here now too. I love the weather, but I sure hope the garden continues for us.