Skip to main content

Calendula Cookies ~ More Peas

The title is correct -  Calendula Cookies.  I added these flower petals to salads last year, and this year I am expanding.  I found several recipes in a book from the library, regarding edible flowers.  Something new to try this year, and new to blog about. 


The cookie recipe uses about 18 flower heads.  I had flowers, and I had a hankering for cookies (when I shouldn't be eating any). 


Recipe comes from the book, "Cooking with Flowers:  Sweet and Savory Recipes with Rose Petals, Lilacs, Lavender, and Other Edible Flowers, by Miche Bacher.   Original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.  I used 1 cup einkorn flour and 1/4 all-purpose white.  I didn't have any lemon  zest in my freezer, so I used lemon extra in the sugar.  Very light and healthy.

I've been alternating kids for help shelling peas these past few days.  We enjoyed them for dinner.  I should be getting another picking of snap peas soon too.  


We are still getting a load of greens at almost every other baked breakfast.  This one is loaded with dandelion.  I have however....




..brought in a good amount of chard and kale to blanch and freeze.  Collards were planted a bit late, and although my orange chard failed in the (falling apart) raised bed, my red chard re-seeded itself (kudos to that).  


More radishes.  Not very many Cherry Belle.



More bread baking - French toast, sandwiches, toast, and a side with dinners.  I was in a hurry ( do not be in a hurry), the water was too hot, and my loaves are a bit on the short side.  That's okay, the kids are devouring it and it fits better in the toaster, ha ha!

Guess who got stung by a wasp?  Yeah.  Me.  I was standing still, filling a watering can under the rain barrel, minding my own business. It landed right on my arm.  I immediately picked plantain, and ground it up in my food processor (making more than I needed).  It was red, and swelling and hurt pretty bad.  This morning, there is no sign it was there but a teeny bit of tenderness.  The power of weeds is amazing.

I don't know what my next adventure will be this week, but I do know peas need picked.  Enjoy your week....


The weather here is amazingly cool and tolerable in the afternoons.  Camping weather.  Which we have yet to do (for two reasons).  I have managed to take time for myself and a few handicrafts though.







Comments

SUSSEXMOUSE said…
I have been collecting Dandelions for next door's Chickens. I didn't know we could eat them. I must try one !
Jenn said…
Interesting post! Cooking with flowers sounds cool, so many plants and flowers that you'd never think are useful. I have a new found appreciation for dandelion!
Yarrow said…
These sound very good, I'd like to try them as I have a lot of calendula at the moment :D
Sussexmouse, I have made a dandelion bread using the flowers before, and the same cookbook I mentioned for the Calendula flower cookies has a recipe for dandelion cookies.
Jenn, I am learning something new every year. My family appreciates it too.
Yarrow, the same cookbook has recipes for Calendula cornbread and a calendula ravioli. I hope to try them soon too. I borrowed the book from our library.
Rain said…
I love that you're cooking with flowers! I haven't made the jump yet. I need to be more brave lol...sorry you got stung, but wow about the plantain. I'm sure if I could find some here it would heal my (still itchy) black fly bites from last month.
Rain, plantain is very helpful for so many uses. The cookies were very good too.
RB said…
We've had several cooler days with low humidity, but now it's raining again, and although we need it, the temps will be rising next week and the humidity right along with it. Yuck!!!
Prayers everyone is having a great week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, we've had many days of high heat and humidity, so I hope it cools down for both of us soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart