Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Puttin' Up Pasta Noodles

I am car-less once again.  The minute I got my own car back, it was gone that fast.  I had just finished my workout a few days ago, and Vet-tech Daughter calls.  Her brake line is broke.  Gah!!

Next thing I know, her older sister is driving her to the house to borrow my car.  

Again.  

Sigh.  So I skipped breakfast, skipped my chores, and high-tailed it to the grocery to stock up.  Then I drove over to the library, who had about 10 books in for me, and not willingly gave her my car keys.


Again.

So, stuck home on my birthday, with no car and not wanting to do a dang thing, I made noodles.  What else is a woman to do?

I didn't want to clean.  Heck no.  

Hubby went in at midnight, working 3rd shift, followed by 1st shift, so I knew he would not be grilling my birthday dinner as he previously planned (and would go straight to bed).




So I just whipped up some homemade spinach fettuccine noodles. I filled 8 of the 9 trays in my dehydrator with noodles. 

Oh, and I can puree my spinach in my food processor, because my new blade (mine was on the recall list) arrived a few weeks ago.  It wasn't easy getting it either.  I had to email 3 or 4 times, then they emailed me saying I had to write a letter to a specific person.  A month later it arrived.  Now I am back in business.


I retreated to the porch and took my newest library loot with me.  And an adult birthday beverage.  Why not?  It was my birthday and I wasn't driving anywhere, ha ha!

I woke up to rain this morning.  I hope the porch rockers are dry. 




10 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, Katrina, your birthday sounds like min e usually are....the best laid plans! Mine is in early January when everyone is tired of 'giving' and there was usually a snow storm so making plans was usually futile! LOL!
I'm glad you had some porch time and an adult beverage....you deserved it! Hopefully they will all make it up to you on Mother's Day!
Love the noodles....another thing to add to my 'list' and I never thought of drying them in the dehydrator....brilliant! Storms coming here this afternoon so I need to get out and get some outside work done before they hit. Have a great day!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, the dehydrator works great for drying noodles. I can do a lot at one time, and not have restock so often. I have about 3 or 4 other noodles to make yet too. I know we had already celebrated my birthday back on Sunday, but I wanted to get out of the house on my actual birthday. Having no vehicle can drive a woman mad. We are out in the boonies. Even the library is too far to ride a bicycle. I told Hubby I need those motorcycle lessons soon, ha ha!

Mama Pea said...

Happy (belated) Birthday wishes to you, Kristina! I can think of a lot worse things to do on a birthday than settle in on your comfy porch with an adult beverage and a stack of new books to go through. That sounds really relaxing to me!

We are close enough to town that a bicycle ride there and back wouldn't be impossible . . . but I'd have to get my bicycle seat (mine not the bike's) in shape first. (Wonder how much pedaling one would have to do on a regular basis before those tender spots didn't hurt?)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, it was pretty relaxing until the wind kicked up and clouds came over. I was pretty content with the time I had out there though. I could also ride my bicycle to the library, but I may not make it back lol! I think it's about 6 miles, and there is road construction.

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, Kristina! I wonder if this borrow-mom's-car thing is a ploy to keep you in the kitchen, whipping up amazing food, day after day? Hope you got to enjoy your porch and book time (with your adult beverage, which you definitely deserve).

RB said...

Well Happy Birthday!!! Mine is the 12th, the big Seven-Ohhh (or is that Seven, Uhhh-Ohhh - 70). LOL
Cars can be challenges. We've been lucky in our last few, lasting years beyond their final payments. Thank God!!! I'll do two major repairs on a car. After that, I trade 'em in.
Grandma dried her noodles on one of those wooden clothes hanging racks. She also dried some on a pristine white sheet spread across the bed in her spare bedroom. They were so yummy.
God bless.
RB
<><

Carol W. said...

I hope your birthday was a restful one for you. Happy birthday!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, well Happy Birthday to you! Hope it's as good as mine was!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Carol!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, ha ha! I thought the same thing. The kids do enjoy to goodies they get.