Skip to main content

Zucchini - Tomato Frittata

Every few days I have been making a crock pot of steel cut oats, so Hubby can take his breakfast to work (or we enjoy it after the gym, and before he leaves for work).  

 



The frittatas, and other dishes fill up the remainder days.  I made a zucchini- tomato frittata recently.  The roadside produce stand still had some
zucchini (I have no idea how, but he did).  I took advantage of it, and added those tomatoes still sitting on my other kitchen table.  The green has turned to red now.  Hard to believe I'm still eating tomatoes from our own garden in November.  That is fresh chives and green onions on top too.


More collards made their way to the freezer.  I have really stepped up in storing the greens up for winter this year.  I am hoping my kale will provide just a bit more. 

I've been adding more organic turkey to our diet, and have been trying a few new recipes.  This sandwich is a turkey cutlet Monte Cristo with homemade bread.  We used brie cheese and my home canned carmalized onions.  Each slice of bread had a thin layer of dijon mustard too.  The sandwich is dipped in egg/milk, cooked in a pan first to brown, then in the oven to melt the cheese.  We'll be doing this again.  I just need to get the bread supply going soon.  Now that we are down to 3 meat eaters, I don't have to buy as much as I used too.  That's a bonus.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Yep, it sure does save money when you don't buy or cook with as much meat. We use meat sparingly as a natural thing, but seems I've been cooking a lot of company meals lately and folks who are used to eating meat think a meal is "lacking" without it. I've notice a difference in our grocery budget (not a good one!) when more meat is included!
Michelle said…
Sandwich looks good. I have to try crock pot oats.I will be visiting you tube for recipes.
Mama Pea, I hope to be able to raise meat birds this coming spring. I was so busy this year, I did not.
Michelle, I think my recipe is on my blog somewhere, it's 2 cups steel cut oats, 4 c. milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt. 2 Tbsp butter, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup chopped walnuts, and 2 apples diced (I leave skins on). I cook on low for about 4 hours. You can leave the brown sugar out and simply drizzle the cooked oats with honey too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart