Skip to main content

Chicken feed in my hair and other homestead moments. . .

No photos for this tidbit, but you might get a laugh.  It was raining and pretty dark out.  I headed out to open the barn doors and let some light in on the ladies and Sparta.  It was still raining and too early to let them out and about, so I
went to put feed in their feeders.

Miss Hennie is still in the "emergency" coop, so I went to feed the others first.  I scooped and poured, and scooped again, but something moved and up went the scoop, up went the feed, and up went my heart beat.

A small mouse squeezed his way into feed tote (which is now getting switched out with a metal trash can), and had gotten into the feed itself.  Gross right?  I had a mess to clean up, but not until after Jesse tore after that mouse. 

Out it went, and Jesse right after it.  It squeezed back into the cement brick crevice and Jesse would not remove his nose from it.  So funny to see him try to catch a tiny mouse, but now he's a mouse chaser too.

Update on Miss Hennie:  she has her tail up and her comb is back to the up position as well.  She's now jumping up on the ledge at night to roost, and looks much better.  No egg yet today, but looking so much better.   

I was feeling under the weather yesterday and brewed a few cups of hot ginger tea.  I sipped it slowly, while typing away on my write-it-all-in-a-month novel.  Jesse was so needy, and I did not feel like walking him, but I did.  He is just like a kid.  When he goes on his walks, it seems as if he sniffs out every little thing.  

Last night I learned how to install a new toilet.  I helped Hubby, and we now have one new toilet.  He picked one out that has the flush button on the tank lid.  There are two buttons - one for half flush and one for full flush.  I'm skeptical on how long the parts will last on it.  The seems to be cheaply made, but isn't most stuff these days?

Last night we watched a new homesteading show, and it was enjoyable to watch.  I have no idea what the name of it was, so I'll be searching it out today, and hopefully watch it again.

It drizzled and rained all day, so the tree work was put on halt again.  We have very little time on weeknights to get anything completed outdoors (with the time change now). It's pitch dark out yet this morning, so I have a backup plan if it rains again.  My huge stack of paperwork needing filed, looms over my computer area.  My list from Monday has become the all-week to-do list.

There are two of us now with earaches, congestion and fatigue.  I'll be brewing up more hot tea today.  I know that stress is the reason I am not feeling 100% me.  Adding the National Novel Writing Month into my day takes a good chunk of my time.  I really need a weekend or even a one night retreat of some sort.

I better get this posted,  I need to pull on my muck boots, don an apron and get chores done.  

Comments

Kim said…
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I am also glad that was a mouse and not a snake in the feed.
Sandra said…
Hope you feel better soon!
Kim, I'm glad it wasn't a snake too. Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart