Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, August 6, 2012

German Potato Salad with Honey ~ French Vanilla Ice Cream with Honey

(before baking)

Yesterday we tried two new recipes that used honey.  They were both delicious.  We are keeping both recipes, but cutting the bacon drippings in the potato salad down to a minimum.  They were both very good. 


The homemade ice cream recipe turned out delicious too.  Both recipes are from a cookbook I borrowed from the library.  The book is The Honey Kitchen, The Best Honey Recipes in the World, edited by Dadant & Sons, © 1980, 1982 by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York.


German Potato Salad with Honey

6 medium organic potatoes, cooked and sliced
6 slices of organic bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup  raw honey
1 small organic onion minced
6-8 Tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. water (if needed)
1-1/2 Tbsp. organic flour
1 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling water.  Cool and slice.  Place them into a casserole baking dish.

Cook bacon until crisp. Cool it and crumble it.

Mix onion, honey, vinegar, flour salt and pepper (and water if needed) with bacon drippings. Add bacon.  Cook until all ingredients are heated.

Pour sauce evenly over potatoes.  Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (serves 4-6).  

Note:  I doubled this recipe and used a 9 x 13 baking dish.

French Vanilla Ice Cream with Honey

4 farm fresh eggs
1-1/2 cups raw honey
1 pt. whipping cream
2 qt. half and half
1 tsp. organic vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat eggs until foamy.  Continue to beating while adding honey in a find stream.  Stir in remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into an ice cream freezer container.  Churn according to individual freezer directions.


Monday Madness

With the thunderstorms we recently got, today was the first day back into the garden.  I knew I would be getting laundry out, and front flower beds weeded, but had no idea what to expect in the garden.


After getting all the laundry out, I headed out to find enough ripe tomatoes to make a batch of fridge salsa.  I made about 2 1/2 quarts.  I don't know if it's me and my taste buds, or my hot peppers, but they seem to lack heat this year.  I made the salsa with 3 cayenne, and typically it's hot.  This year not so.  I had to add 4 jalapeno and another cayenne.  I'll let it sit all day and see what the flavors taste like later.

After a trip to the gym, we baked pizza's for dinner, using the cauliflower pizza crust recipe we found last year.  I love this recipe, because everything can be grown or made to make it.


The thunderstorms early Sunday morning prevented me from turning on my computer also.  I missed my on-line sermon, but with the convenience of re-runs on-line, I can watch it later tonight.  Hopefully, with a hot cup of sage tea, but a glass of wine sounds better.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

The German Potato Salad recipe sounds really good, I'm going to print it out! Thanks! :)
Peppers are funny, some years they just aren't as hot as others, I'm sure it has something to do with the weather and the amount of water they get. In fact, I have heard that they will under-water some of the chile plants in Hatch, NM to get hotter chiles. Might be worth an experiment!

Cris said...

These both sound really good!
I remember a post a couple of days ago, where you were pondering how to make a "really hot" hot pepper jelly. I just made a version that is super hot (and really good). I posted it on my blog, if you wanted to take a peek and see what you think. It might be worth trying!
www.chickenladysgreatadventures.blogspot.com
Happy Canning!!

--Cris in WI