One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cinnamon Blueberry Jam



I ran out of freezer space, so I started canning the last of the blueberries.  I am canning a new blueberry jam recipe - Cinnamon Blueberry Jam.  It's from Taste of Home if you'd like to try it too. 


Taste tester results?

Delicious!  

Update 8/1/14:  My youngest daughter said "you have to give it for Christmas, because it tastes like Christmas!"


This would make a wonderful Christmas present if you have blueberries right now.  The first time I made it I got 5 -1/2 pints and I followed the recipe exactly.  The second time I made it I got 5 - 1/2 pints as well.   I used my food processor to "crush" the blueberries.

Yesterday my digital kitchen timer stopped working.  I resorted to getting a "timer" on the internet on the kitchen computer.  Where there is a will, there is a way, right?

Hubby and I are still not feeling good.  It's hard to just rest when you have a table full of vegetables, and about 5 more pounds of blueberries to can with.  He isn't resting on account of getting the truck fixed (after work) either.  I hope to show some improvement by late today.  The cough is lingering, but at least I can breath through my nose today.





I took some afternoon time to rest on the porch yesterday.  I started another dishcloth. This pattern uses #10 cotton thread, and is one of the thinnest I make.  These are perfect for the camper, as they have a handle to hang it, and they dry out quickly.  Not to mention thin, so they pack nicely. 

It will look like this:
I used to sell these at the Farmer's Market, but they take longer to make than knitted or regular cotton crocheted dishcloths.  This is an old photo of some I made in the past.



Pattern is from Gooseberry Patch "Farmhouse Crochet #4777, Leisure Arts, ISBN 13-978-1-6-140-891-2

5 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for the recipe! I think I will have to make this this weekend. Perfect Christmas gifts! And I LOVE those dishcloths. Can you share the pattern? I have been looking for something lighter than the worsted cotton.

Kristina said...

Susan, I got it from a library book. Let me see if I can locate the title, or if anything else, I will email you.

EMMA said...

Love the sound of that jam - blueberries are not ripe here yet but I will be making this as soon as they are.
I'd also like to try making one of those dishcloths if you can find the pattern.
Get well soon!

Patricia @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

I see you were able to get well enough to go camping. That probably did you both some good just to get a way and relax.
I like the dishcloths...I've not done much crocheting of late; but I've got my eye on some baby yarn, and some patterns for the new grandbabies that will be here February.

Kristina said...

Pat, as soon as I got back, I ordered us some mullien tea leaves. I should have planted it, but did not for some reason (busyness perhaps). We are still coughing horribly, but went anyway, as our reservations were made a month ago. We felt if we canceled them, the kids may never (or us) get any summer time fun this year. We are still sick, so as soon as I get the tea leaves, I am making a mullien tea for the both of us.