Skip to main content

Simple Solar Oven ~ It's a Heat Wave! ~ Sunflower Hot Pads

(the building of her oven)

Our 12 year-old is participating in a second science fair (in two years).  

This time, she chose to make a model (they have to pick specific categories, and they cannot repeat the same category from the previous science fair).  Her model?  A solar cooker.  Okay, I admit, her choice made me smile.  I can dig a solar oven. 



However, this particular science fair is in winter, and not in summer like all the rest.  Our prime solar cooking days run about mid-April to September here.  What we'll she cook?  Uh, maybe if we are lucky some sun tea?  



Praying for a hot enough day to keep her grade from being marked down.  Considering this is also an interest of my own, I did a bit of research, and we can successfully solar cook if the temperatures rise above freezing.  

Speaking of weather, it will be in the 20's today.  It's weird to walk out and think it feels like a heat wave at 20°F.  Maybe, just maybe, our dishwasher will run today, and possibly the other shower.  


Along with much needed deep cleaning, I tackled an "unfinished" project looming in my closet - sunflower hot pads.

The pattern for these hot pads are also found in this book I borrowed from the library.



I'm actually on my 4th one already.  These come in handy for gifting.  I plan to put one in our camper too.  They are pretty large - 11 1/2 inches in diameter.  I crocheted them using 100% cotton yarn.  I think they would make nice placemats, along with crocheted sunflower cup/mug coasters.   Sunflowers are not my favorite flower.  This just happens to be a looming project that isn't looming any longer. 

Kids are back in school today, and it is sooooo quiet in here today.  I better keep myself accountable.  I just might put clothes on the line today.

Last night I dug out another bag of frozen corn to go with dinner.  I have one bag left from last year's storage foods.  

We can't start much from seeds here (no place in the house, and the cats get into the seedlings, garage is too cold, and we have not built our green house yet etc.), so I have some extra time to pull out looming activities.

Comments

Candy C. said…
I hope it warms up enough to make the solar oven 'work' and the sunflower hot pads are really cute! :)
Liz said…
Sunflowers are my favorite!!
I bet its quiet with the kids back in school!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart