Skip to main content

Record Low Temps ~ Dehydrating Garlic

Last night, we hit an all time record low.  When Hubby called me from work about 7pm, it was already -17°F (actual temperature), with a wind chill of lower than -35°F.  The dogs are not taking the cold well at all.  My son said their legs start shaking after a few minutes outside to do their business.  Some times they won't even go, and he'll have to go out again.   It's too early to tell how the barn animals handled it.  As soon as the sun is up, we plan to do a quick check on them all.




When my 17 year-old daughter came in from tending her goats, she said it was so cold it hurt to breathe.  I agree.  I opened the door to call for the barn cats, and the air felt like it was suffocating me.

I got a text from my 19 year-old.  Her heater in her car has been broken, and we've been trying to meet up and have Hubby fix it.  She said her hands hurt so bad, driving home in this extreme cold, that she cried.  She's also having to stop and scrape ice from the inside of her car.  I plan to try and get "old faithful" out of the driveway, and gas her up today.  She's got a bad tire, so that will need air about every day, and I'll need to put wood in the back to keep her from sliding off the road.  But, the old truck has heat.  I'm offering it to her, in hopes it will get her back and forth to work safely, and until Hubby can do his magic on her car.  Praying that I can get her started in these temperatures as well.  She's a 20-25 minute drive (when the weather is good), so I may have to deliver "old faithful" to her vs. her driving all the way out here and risk her life.  Please say a prayer it all works out.


We made it through without frozen pipes (update:  Hot water pipes are frozen in the kitchen and front bathroom).  I had to practically run the water to keep things from freezing.  Hubby never made it home however.  Work would not allow employees to leave until 11:00pm, and after I suggested he get a hotel room, his work paid for it.  Driving home in those temperatures, at that hour (and he has an hour drive) could be deadly.  





I am running low on my homemade powdered garlic, so I dug out my dehydrator and sliced more garlic.  I will have to double or triple this amount for next year.  There are things I tried last year, that I will be doing again, and things I won't.  This is one I will be doing, but I will freeze my blueberries and not dehydrate them.  

I hope everyone is staying safe, warm, and that tumm

Comments

Willow said…
Hang in there , this too shall pass.
We had a brief stint of it , 16 inches of snow then below zero temps then only a few days later we got 40's and 55 yesterday ! The weather has been bonkers. Bt we live in New England so things change quickly around the coast.
Mama Pea said…
Not a good situation your daughter has with her car having no heat. When we first moved up here, we had a VW Beetle with a heater that never worked properly. Hubby had a 30 minute drive into work and had to put on so many clothes to try to stay warm that he could hardly get into the VW. Our "other" car was an old, old Suburban that had a good heater, but wouldn't start for beans in below zero weather. What we all don't go through, huh?

We had a low of -14° overnight so I think this weather is breaking. I'm ready. Stay warm and safe.
Unknown said…
We have it easy here- 30 degrees and 1" of snow tonite. On and off for the next few days. I feel bad watching the news in my nice, warm house, while the whole mid-west, south and NE suffers. Ah well, I guess it's good where we wound up. That may change over time....
Sandra said…
The weather has been awful!
Thankfully no frozen pipes.
Your poor daughter, I would have been crying too!
Stay warm!! I think the worse is over!
Mama Pea,
Funny you mention a VW Beetle. That is what my daughter drives.
EMMA said…
My dear, that sounds terrible. Hope it warms up soon and that you all, animals included, stay safe and warm.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart