Skip to main content

Prosperous Weekend

(garden before we tilled it)
 
The garden is getting back into shape.  We secured the pea fence again, dug out the plastic and stakes, and mowed down weeds.  We started to till it, and get it ready for next year.  We battled tons of mutant lady bugs though.  Just standing to take the photo, I ended up covered in them.  I moved back pretty far to take the photo, and even then, you can't see all of it.


Our garden space is 2490 square feet, not including the raised beds or the garden out by the barn that we have not worked on yet.  Our very first year, we had 450 square feet.  Then the following year we added another 1161 feet, and  the third year added another 879 square feet.  We were going to cover it, or even part of it, but it's too expensive to tarp or use sheets of plastic.

I am still weeding flower beds and my herb garden.  With the cool nights, the weeds are pretty easy to pull.


Hubby got one more "get'er done" item off his list.  He installed a solar powered, motion sensor light on the barn the animals are in. Unfortunately, Sunday football cut our time short on getting anything else finished.


I finished canning Cinnamon-Cider jelly for Christmas - 21 jars this year.  



My son picked the pears on our property (three large bowl fulls), and this is the first time, we've had enough of our own, to stock up with.  I'm thrilled. Thankfully, they need to ripen, so I have time to decide what I will make, or do with them. In the past I have made pear jam, and Crackly Pear Cake.  I know the kids have already asked for a pear pie.



I was able to stitch a few more cards and work on a knitted dishcloth, and even work on a few more Christmas ornaments.

And finally we are getting a second opinion (this week), on the wood stove repairs.  We want to be absolutely sure that repairs are necessary.  It may cost me for a second opinion, but I will rest better.




Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your rooster card . . . cute as could be!
Kim said…
Cute idea for the cards.



Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart