Skip to main content

Dehydrating Blueberries & Topless Blueberry Pie

Each year we purchase 20 pounds of blueberries, and it gets us through winter and spring.  I make blueberry syrup, jam, jelly, freeze some, and bake some. 

This year I am doing something new - dehydrating some.  They will be wonderful in baked goods for after school snacks and lunch packings.  I will use them in my homemade granola bars too.


Some sites recommended dropping the blueberries in boiling water first to crack the skins, and others recommended simply puncturing each blueberry.  Sounds time consuming right?

I decided to puncture each one, to shorten the drying time.  I did not have enough ice to do the boiling method. They still took a long time to dry, so I won't be doing the "poking" thing next time.  


I put 3 cups on each tray, dehydrating 12 cups of blueberries - 6 pints.  After dehydrating, I almost filled a quart jar with all of them.  I have very limited freezer space, so the dehydrator has become very useful.  This will save me a lot of money on buying dried blueberries at the store.



I canned several jars of blueberry jam and jelly, however I did not make syrup this year.



And who can resist baking pies when berries are in an abundance?  I have never made a blueberry pie, and I am very happy with the results.  I made two topless pies, by heating my berries on the stove top, and filling a baked pie shell.  We topped them with whipped cream.  Delicious!   One pie is never enough.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We once again, are having gorgeous weather.  The guys have the car repaired and up and running now.  We still have to do more repairs on the barn roof, repair the lawn mower, finish the installation of the front screen door, and more.

Hubby already got a "call out" this morning, and we never know how long the job will take.

I'm very late on completing my 2500-word, short (fiction) story, and may decide to work on it today, simply lounging on the porch (albeit a mess right now due to the new door and packaging everywhere).  

I'm taking the day off from exercise.  I know, not exciting news here.  Yesterday I climbed 3 flights of stairs 6-7 times, and walked 2 miles.  My daughter's apartment is on the 3rd floor.  She's settled in, and looking for a second job.

Today I am thankful for:
~ God's Provisions
~ A slower paced day
~ The chance to see our hummingbird this morning





Comments

Candy C. said…
Good idea on the topless blueberry pie. I bought some more at the store today to make hubby another batch of Farmgirl Susan's Blueberry Bars, he loves them! :)
Unknown said…
I love to make cobblers, with just a crumble topping. It's so fast! Just butter, oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon. Yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart