Skip to main content

Dehydrating Onions ~ Making Onion Powder


My garden may have produced small onions, but boy they are potent.  You would have had a good laugh, if you were here to see my 14 year-old and I, cutting them up for the dehydrator.  



She had goggles on, and I was trying to fan my eyes, but that failed.  We had tears, and tears and more tears. Sorry for the bad, blurry photographs.  We were laughing so hard at the time.


Words from my 14 year-old:

"Oh, I got it on my mouth, it stings!"

"Shake it off, shake if off.....I got this!"

"I will win this battle!"

"Ugh, this is sooooooooo painful"

"Mom, plug your nose and open your mouth.  You can taste it!"

"Gosh Mom, stop laughing, you're gonna wet yourself!"

"Oh my eyeballs!"

"Why did I volunteer for this?!"

.....and we get to do this again a few more times. 


With 4 trays of chopped onions, I filled one recycled spice jar, plus some in another, plus a 1/2 jar of onion flakes.  

I ground the dried onions on a coffee grinder to make my onion powder.  You can also dehydrate your onions in rings, but they will take longer to dehydrate.



 This was one tray of ground, dehydrated onions. 


This year was the first year to make either of these from garden bounty.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I've drained two rain barrels now.  There is a chance for rain today.  I am having to water the flower beds, herb gardens and strawberries often.  

The goat fencing has been started again, but we lost our post hole digger.  My guess is that the last person using it left it lay out there, and now it's buried in 5 feet of grass.  We borrowed one until the goats get into their new fencing and start munching down the grass.

I've been searching for organic granny smith apples, but so far I am not locating any (unsprayed).  I think next spring, I will be planting two granny smith apple trees (if not this fall).  As a young girl, I learned how to make applesauce with my Grandparent's apples, using the stove top.  Now I make it using a crock pot.  I hope to share more recipes using granny smith apples this fall.



Today I am thankful for:
~the refund the school is giving me for overcharging fees on two of the girls - YAHOO!
~ for delicious, healthy honey
~allergy eye drops






Comments

Sandra said…
I do not like cutting onions. Maybe I should try goggles :)
I never thought of making my own onion powder. Great idea!
Sandra,
It's incredibly easy. I dehydrated my onions until they were very crispy. They dry much quicker if chopped vs. cut in slices too. The flakes smell like onion rings. Mmmm!
Candy C. said…
Good for you guys for chopping all those onions! The jar of onion flakes is lovely. :)
One of our friends has a couple of Granny Smith apple trees and they are so good! They don't taste anything like the ones in the grocery store.
Michelle said…
Do the goggles work?
Yes the goggles work, but if there are any gaps around the seal, against your face, it will get inside them.
Anonymous said…
I really need to get myself a de-hydrator! Happy for you on the refund for the overcharge! Things like that are always a nice surprise!
Those onions look like a lot of work but then who said anything was easy?!
Hugs,
Beth P

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart