Skip to main content

It's Moving Day

The sunrise was absolutely gorgeous this morning.  The fog was layered out of the east and northeast.



As the hour passed, the fog moved inward, dispersing thicker before starting to disappear.  The chill in the air is, what I call, "camping weather."  It's just cold enough to want to curl up in a hoodie or jacket, and sit around a warm campfire enjoying nature.  I love it!


As I stood on the porch (in my jammies) taking these photos, I took advantage of soaking in the quiet (sounds of nature) outside before traffic increased.  I could hear a rustling in the field, but did not see any deer.

Our 19 year-old is moving into her college apartment today.  It's shared with other students and non-students, where bathrooms and the kitchen are shared.  We are packing up our vehicles to help move her, and I have already given her a bag of "goodies" for the move.  

However, her "survival list" is much bigger than what's in the bag.  I don't think even I thought about what she'd need. She is lucky to have a full kitchen to cook in, versus a dorm, where she would have been much more limited on meals.

We are also giving her garden potatoes, fresh farm eggs, garden onions, and milk.  I wish my garden had produced more, but I am thankful for what I did get from it.  I do have canned pickles and relish too.  Those can be used for sandwiches as well as making tuna, chicken and pasta salads.

She also picked out 2 hand knitted dishcloths, and a dish scrubbie.  

I had planned to can onion soup this season, but I read the recipe again, and you freeze your pints.  I have no room in my freezer, so onion soup is off the list of to-do's.  Maybe next year....


The sun is making an appearance now, and the day will soon start and finish.  Enjoy your weekend.  I know I plan too.

Today I am grateful for:
~ the absolutely wonderful morning chill
~ hot coffee in 3 minutes
~ God's Promises


Comments

Kim said…
What a beautiful morning,thank you for sharing it.
Unknown said…
I love this post. What beautiful photos! Nothing beats waking up early to watch the sun rise.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful morning with us!!
Candy C. said…
Lovely sunrise shots! Your daughter will be the most popular girl in the complex with all those homegrown goodies! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart