Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .



. . . planted two types of potatoes, lettuce, red and yellow onions, spinach, arugula, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.  I picked some asparagus too.  We used the rain barrel water to water the vegetable plants we planted, and love it.  The rain barrel saves us water, and electricity (so we don't have to run the water pump to do it).  We definitely want two more barrels this year.

. . . weeded out the raised beds of strawberries.

. . . planted a rosemary plant and some organic basil seeds.

. . . planted organic sunflower seeds and two varieties of Shasta Daisies. 
  
 . . . dehyrdrated organic baby kale for dog treats (could not find organic, regular kale).

. . .made more homemade dog treats in the dehydrator.

. . . my 16 year-old made another batch of goat's milk soap.

. . . picked up a truck load of mulch for the flower beds.  I need another load.

. . .divided my Thyme and planted some around the front porch to ward of mosquitoes this year.  One of my "farm" books suggested this.  I will see if it helps this year.  If anything, I will have more to dry for winter tea and cooking.

. . .started crocheting washcloths for selling at the Farmer's Market.
  

 

Comments

Sandra said…
Sounds like you have been busy!
Good luck with your gardening :)
Michelle said…
Wow you are going to be busy. I wouldn't be able to get half of the stuff on that list done.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart