Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Turkey Lentil Frittata

Here is the recipe I promised to share.  The original recipe is linked, and below I will explain what I added.

I found the "protein packed" breakfast recipe online at Lentils.org (click Lentils.org to the left to go directly to the recipe), and changed it up a bit to try. Lentils for breakfast?  I mean why not, I add black beans them too.  Lentils are high in protein and low in fat, and provide many nutrients as well as fiber.

First I made my lentils the day before, and that way I had that job done.  You need cooked lentils to make this frittata.



I still have homegrown sweet potatoes (they lasted much better than all the other potatoes too).




I added garlic, freshly minced and added it after the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper (didn't have roasted red ones on hand) were cooked.  I also added oregano, greens and chives.

I didn't cook it on the stove as the recipe stated, nor broil the dish. 

I just cooked the sweet potato, red bell pepper in my cast iron pan first, added the remainder, and baked it in the oven at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes until it was done.

Hubby was skeptical too.  Only 6 eggs, and I typically use 7 or 8.  

Oh my gosh, it was so good.  I also had leftover cooked lentils that I made into a spread for sandwiches (or could be a veggie dip too).  Our 18 year-old daughter put it on a grilled cheese sandwich and loved it.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I woke up with a sinus headache the day of the funeral yesterday.  Along with sinus pressure and whatnot.  I'm downing my four thieves vinegar, mullein/ginger tea and holy basil.  I'm also avoiding the hospital.  Hubby is worried although we've been careful to wash our hands upon leaving, so I am praying they release Mom soon, and that my younger brother and one sister are able to visit and check on her.  

Today it's my wonderful husband who is helping me rest, and take care of whatever needs caring for.  Including springing Mom from the hospital if that happens today.  I just hope the store has non-gmo bone broth.  I do not have any in my freezer.

A family member is already selling crocheted hats to raise more funds for our nephew's family.  It was the first thought on my own mind.  There have been jacket sales to help, the school is selling t-shirts, and collections at a local bank.  Our heart just breaks for them all.  Again, thanks for all your kind words.  

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, boy. I hope your sinus infection is over quickly. It is so chancy, going into a hospital. I also hope your mom is home by now, as we know that you heal so much better when you're home. I didn't see the link to that frittata? Did I miss it? I would love to make it - I love lentils! Feel better soon. I continue to hold your nephew's family in my thoughts.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Susan. The color of the link is not very good, so once I am up to figuring out how to change the color of my links, I will. I went up and noted where the link is at in this post.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I figured out how to change the color of my links. It was showing up in gray and you couldn't see them. Now they are blue. Whew. Sorry about that.

mamasmercantile said...

You and your family remain in my prayers. Hope you are feeling better soon. The fritatta looks amazing, a great recipe. I will certainly be giving that a try. Take care.