Skip to main content

Tidbits ~ Have you ever?


We had a frost warning for last night, and woke up to a wind chill of 35°F.  It's still April.  We typically can't plant anything until after the last frost, which in our area, is about or after Mother's Day in May (mid May or later).  One year, however, we had a frost in late May, after we planted the entire garden and lost everything that year.  Every year it's different, so we just wait it out.

Not only is it cold right now, but the rain is moving back in.  A lot of it.  I'm not looking forward to a flooded chicken run again.

 



My new laundry basket.  It is the least expensive one we could find ($16.99  Big Lots) to at least make my life easier during then next 2-3 weeks (or longer).  My husband had to drive about 22 miles to get it, but I have never been this excited about a laundry basket.  I know this one won't last very long, as it's all completely plastic, including the wheels, but like I said, laundry will keep getting done.

It will will make laundry duty much easier, and could be used for other things too.  Like toting a bag of yarn to a room to work on (ha ha!).



(photo source:  Lehman's)

Lehman's has a very nice set up, where you can place your laundry basket on a gadget with wheels, but it's very expensive ($159.95).   I do like their version, as you don't have to bend over so much,



Have you ever?


 Has anyone made dandelion green pesto with pumpkin seeds?  Or any dandelion green pesto at all?  I'm wondering if it's bitter.  I've always blanched my dandelion greens and frozen them for future meals.   


Has anyone made a smal  batch recipe off  homemade cuticule cream?  Any recipe recomendations?


Has anyone crocheted (or knitted) a baby blanket using Red Heart acrylic yarn?  I've only crocheted baby blankets with Bernat baby yarn (acrylic).  Pattern suggestions?  I'm thinking I may go through some yarn and use a recent pattern I found a year ago, but smaller.  I will be looking online at Yarnspirations patterns as well.  Sometimes the yarn company themselves, have free useful patterns.  


Has anyone made lavender syrup?  


Tidbits ~ Have you ever? © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Mother Em said…
Has anyone, has anyone ...you, just put your feet up and relax today! Think it'll be a crappy day, like it is here in GA, but you need to relax brain, body and just "chill!" Have a great one.
Mother Em, ha ha ha! It is cold here, and the sun is just now popping out, but I'm going to put my feet up soon.
Jackie said…
Red Heart Baby Yarn is lovely. I have knit many a baby blanket with it. I haven't done so in awhile though. As far as patterns, you could use the ones you always have.

God bless.
That’s crazy it’s become that cold now. It’s 84 but rain and cooler temperatures are supposed to be here midweek. That’s spring! Fickle weather.
I have a laundry hamper with wheels. I just wheel it into the laundry room to put the clothes in the washer.
It snowed here:) I have an afghan made of red heart yarn, it has been washed many times over the years! I like Bernat for baby blankets too but it is fairly expensive.
Jackie, thanks. I just have a good amount of worsted weight Red Heart yarn in my stash.
Far Side of Fifty, yes, Bernat baby yarn is expensive. I'm just using up what I have left from years ago.
Debby, I'm so glad we could find a laundry basket with wheels, that was affordable. Some of them are so expensive. We had another frost warning.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart