Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Tidbits ~ Have you ever?


We had a frost warning for last night, and woke up to a wind chill of 35°F.  It's still April.  We typically can't plant anything until after the last frost, which in our area, is about or after Mother's Day in May (mid May or later).  One year, however, we had a frost in late May, after we planted the entire garden and lost everything that year.  Every year it's different, so we just wait it out.

Not only is it cold right now, but the rain is moving back in.  A lot of it.  I'm not looking forward to a flooded chicken run again.

 



My new laundry basket.  It is the least expensive one we could find ($16.99  Big Lots) to at least make my life easier during then next 2-3 weeks (or longer).  My husband had to drive about 22 miles to get it, but I have never been this excited about a laundry basket.  I know this one won't last very long, as it's all completely plastic, including the wheels, but like I said, laundry will keep getting done.

It will will make laundry duty much easier, and could be used for other things too.  Like toting a bag of yarn to a room to work on (ha ha!).



(photo source:  Lehman's)

Lehman's has a very nice set up, where you can place your laundry basket on a gadget with wheels, but it's very expensive ($159.95).   I do like their version, as you don't have to bend over so much,



Have you ever?


 Has anyone made dandelion green pesto with pumpkin seeds?  Or any dandelion green pesto at all?  I'm wondering if it's bitter.  I've always blanched my dandelion greens and frozen them for future meals.   


Has anyone made a smal  batch recipe off  homemade cuticule cream?  Any recipe recomendations?


Has anyone crocheted (or knitted) a baby blanket using Red Heart acrylic yarn?  I've only crocheted baby blankets with Bernat baby yarn (acrylic).  Pattern suggestions?  I'm thinking I may go through some yarn and use a recent pattern I found a year ago, but smaller.  I will be looking online at Yarnspirations patterns as well.  Sometimes the yarn company themselves, have free useful patterns.  


Has anyone made lavender syrup?  


Tidbits ~ Have you ever? © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

8 comments:

Mother Em said...

Has anyone, has anyone ...you, just put your feet up and relax today! Think it'll be a crappy day, like it is here in GA, but you need to relax brain, body and just "chill!" Have a great one.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, ha ha ha! It is cold here, and the sun is just now popping out, but I'm going to put my feet up soon.

Jackie said...

Red Heart Baby Yarn is lovely. I have knit many a baby blanket with it. I haven't done so in awhile though. As far as patterns, you could use the ones you always have.

God bless.

Debby said...

That’s crazy it’s become that cold now. It’s 84 but rain and cooler temperatures are supposed to be here midweek. That’s spring! Fickle weather.
I have a laundry hamper with wheels. I just wheel it into the laundry room to put the clothes in the washer.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It snowed here:) I have an afghan made of red heart yarn, it has been washed many times over the years! I like Bernat for baby blankets too but it is fairly expensive.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, thanks. I just have a good amount of worsted weight Red Heart yarn in my stash.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Far Side of Fifty, yes, Bernat baby yarn is expensive. I'm just using up what I have left from years ago.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I'm so glad we could find a laundry basket with wheels, that was affordable. Some of them are so expensive. We had another frost warning.