Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, April 1, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday ~ First Day of April

 I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend.  We had some excitement going on here so to speak.  First the power went out for several hours, along with an internet outage.  They could not locate the cause, or at the point of powering back on, did not disclose why they both went out of service.  It was a good spectrum of an area to lose both services.

Secondly, we had to cancel our weekend plans. My husband was on the forced overtime list at work.  He worked the entire Easter weekend.  Hence the unfinished home repairs.  

Thirdly, two very suspicious looking people landed on our front porch.  No vehicle, no cell phone (according to them), and their story was that they were "left by the side of the road"  and wanted to use my cell phone or call for a ride etc.  They also said they were from another state, and not from around here.  I was not about to do that, so I shut and locked the door, and called the Sheriff.   Mind you, we live in the country, so we have prepared for such situations.  

I in the meantime, had prepared a new breakfast, and it involved green beans.  

My husband told me that it's because I prepared a "weird" breakfast, that "weird" stuff happened.  I have promised not to put green beans in our breakfast, ha ha!


I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.


The weather . . .

It's pouring down rain, we are to have rain for a few more days.  Mostly 40-50 degree days.   Possible snow mid-week.  Possibly a sunny 70 degree Sunday.  Weather is all over the map again.


Right now I am . . .

Filling a diffuser with water and lemon essential oil.  The air in the house is super dry this winter.  I also got out our smaller humidifier.


Thinking and pondering . . .

To garden at all this year, or not to garden.  We are still on the fence with giving the soil a rest this year.

To blog or not to blog.  I love to write it, but lately I feel it's monotonous and time consuming. Most of my posts, after so many years of writing, have almost zero comments, so hence monotonous (and boring?).

Blogger continues to have issues, and the photo loader is once again not working.  


The flower beds definitely need some upkeep work done.

I have lost my mojo to do interior house painting.  I'm a bit burned out from that job.  It's getting a rest for now.

I wrote down 3 things to do in the gardens on good weather days.  One has been crossed off the list now.


How I am feeling . . .

Tired, but ready to tackle the week ahead.  Due to an extra trip to town, I got a head start on my "to-do" list for the week.


On the breakfast plate . . .

Well, it's not green beans (ha ha!).  I have no idea just yet.

Breakfast enchiladas went into the oven.  I used a spinach tortilla.  Kroger has the ones we like with lots of veggies and non-gmo, when I don't want to make them myself.


On the menu . . .

-leftovers
-soup beans, homemade cornbread, maybe a salad too
-not sure on the rest of the week just yet.


On the reading pile . . .

I am not sure when I purchased this book, but it's off the shelf and I am very much enjoying it.

The back of the book. . .

It starts by saying "Molly Pink has become a yarnaholic."  The book includes a free crochet pattern and a recipe.  


On the TV . . .

It's been difficult to find anything worth watching.


Looking around the house . . .

Windows look great!   I am a firm believer of a homemade window cleaner recipe I found online (link).  It did a fantastic job.  It's rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, arrowroot powder, and distilled water.


On the to-do list . . .

-take items to the local blessing box
-start sorting more yarn, scraps from donations
-sort more craft inventory for donation locations
-bake us a breakfast casserole
-catch up on laundry
-brew tea infusions with nettle/oat straw
-sweep floors
-write out a re-stock shopping list

I need to put together our newest (second) mole-chasing windmill.  It's the perfect time to get the grounding rod in the ground (while the rain has softened the soil).

For the week:

(still on the list)

-wash upstairs windows


From the camera . . .




What I am crocheting . . .

Finished!!!   I got this done on the last day of March.  It measures about 9 inches wide.  It's the second doily I started over a year ago, and it landed in a basket (while we tore up floors and painted walls and ceilings).  So happy it's finally done.  One more unfinished project off my list.  Technically, only one unfinished project remains on that list.  The rest are just items to use up yarn, and keep on hand for gifting.


Progress on the baby blanket.


I used the last bit of leftover gray yarn to start a scrap lap afghan.  By "scrap" I mean those small hand size and golf ball sized balls of leftover project yarn.


I'm still crocheting baby washcloths, but only when I have long drives here or there, or sometimes when we have nice porch sitting weather.  I am blocking the washcloths when I finish each one.  I'll package them up in sets for gifting.


Devotionals, Bible Verses, Prayers . . .

I do not have any prayer requests this week.

Happy Homemaker Monday ~ First Day of April  © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


16 comments:

Mother Em said...

Just because all of us don't comment doesn't mean we don't like/love reading your daily blogs ...and miss you when you "disappear for a day or two! Keep it up and have a great cooler/soggy week.

Mary in GA

Anne in the kitchen said...

I laughed at the weird breakfast = weird day remark. Though I don't think green beans in the morning made strangers appear on your doorstep, I still think it would give me pause if I heard that. I know I would never make them a part of my breakfast again!
Your finished doily is very pretty.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, you had me laughing when you said "disappear for a day or two" ha ha! Glad you are enjoying my blog.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the kitchen, it was quite funny to get my husband's reaction to the green beans ha ha! Yes, a very weird day for sure. I have used cauliflower, broccoli and even peas in frittatas before, but that would be a big no for green beans again, ha ha ha! Thank you too. I wanted two doilies for the living room, and the two lamps have square bases on them. I found a free pattern online to make them.

R's Rue said...

I’d miss you in blogland if you left, but I understand it. Hope this week goes well.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Faith said...

Hi Kristina, that is very creepy that people just showed up. Were the sheriff able to get them removed? I am glad the holidays are over as they tend to disrupt the normal flow of routine. Pretty doily. I've got the hook out and finished one item, and working on another. I hear what you are saying about blogging, I've felt that way. People don't take the time to read, or comment because they are over on social media instant everything. Reading & commenting is the backbone of blogger. I don't do social media, other than watching a few you tube channels, I cannot be bothered with it at all. Blogging allows you to be more creative and personalize. What is old is new again, there maybe an entire group of new people finding blogging, I'm hopeful.
Faith

Jackie See said...

I am sorry I haven't commented lately. I had to quit my to do list, it was taking control and I was always coming up short so I put my little notebook away and just went with it. My mind relaxed. I started a fun journal or happy journal full of things to do and places to go, people to see. The work list came second. I felt that I was waking up each morning with nothing on my mind but that damn list of chores!! giggles!! Keep on doing what you are doing. YOu are an inspiration to a "normal" way of life we see disappearing. YOur posts are very interesting and I love to follow along with you on an ordinary day. ~jackiesee~

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

R's Rue, aww, thank you. I sort of feel my blog goes by the seasons. I guess most do really.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, yes it was very strange, odd and the whole situation was shady. Thank goodness for the Sheriff. I did have my husband on the phone while I waited, just in case Thanks. I am so glad I had a day to finish that doily. I guess I didn't think about social media in regards to blogs, but that makes sense. I just watch Reels to get exercise ideas. Sometimes I get really neat ideas for the garden, and recently a neat idea for an automatic waterer and feeder for the chickens. But like you said, I stay off that stuff as much as I can. I'm actually going to hunt around here for our older digital camera, so I can start taking photos with that instead of my cell phone (so I'm off of it more often).

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie See, you made me laugh about chores and the to-do list. I have been feeling the same way, and I too, have a smaller journal for future hiking places, travel plans and such. It is very inspirational too. I'm so glad you are enjoying my blog. Thanks for the kind words and motivation.

Luludou said...

oh that is scary about those people! Not fun that your husband had to work during Easter weekend. Lovely doily. Have a great week

Debby said...

I’m so pleased you trusted your gut and closed and locked your door. I’m hearing this is happening. Scary and you were wise to phone your sheriff.
Blogger is a hassle trying to load photos for me too. It’s extremely annoying.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, yes, it was definitely scary and very strange for sure. Thank you, I am so happy to finish the doily.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, my Dad always told me I had good instincts, so I trusted them. Well, I'm glad it's not just me with blogger issues. It seems like they have issues more often than not anymore.

Nancy Chisum said...

Hello! I just found your blog and enjoyed it very much. I understand the frustrations about blogging. I hope you continue your blog!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nancy Chisum, thanks for visiting my blog.