Skip to main content

What's Cooking?

 

Woke up to mornings in the upper 30's.  Brr.  Rain flooded our asparagus patch.  I am hoping I will have some more asparagus to harvest today.  The continuation of cold nights, has my green onions looking drab.

Food is the topic today, as I have very little to share.  

I've been thinking how much fun it was last year to try new Christmas holiday recipes.  We loved the sunflower seed brittle recipe we tried last year.  You may get a "Christmas" post out of me this year. 


New recipe we tried and absolutely love it.  I have made many, many breakfast casseroles/quiches and frittatas, and this one is a keeper.  I do believe it is a "first" mushroom type quiche to make as well.  I'm officially saying it's a "first time" event this year.  

I takes an entire box of frozen spinach, but once you squeeze all that water out, you don't have much left.

I used organic baby bella mushrooms, but otherwise did not change any of the recipe.  It is from The Stay at Home Chef (recipe is online), called Easy Crustless Spinach Quiche.



The quiche contains two types of cheese, and one is feta.  We added a side of chicken sausages to this breakfast, and boy it was good.  Next plan, when I make it again, is to bake two of them.  I plan on freezing one (freezing individual slices) and enjoying one.  We often times are running here or there, or have other commitments, and Monday morning we sometimes need a healthy breakfast, but have no time Sunday to prepare one.


One of our recent dinners:

Homemade meatballs - from the freezer (recipe is on my blog, and uses ground organic oats instead of bread crumbs.

Home canned hot pepper mustard sauce - from the pantry

Wild rice prepared with beef stock - pantry

Veggie side - from the store (recipe is from "Fix it and Forget it" crock pot cookbook) - carrots/turnips/parsnips.

All of it was prepared in two separate crockpots.


Comments

Jeanna said…
Oh yummy. This post has made me hungry. Everything sounds delish. I'm intrigued by the crustless spinach quiche. Thanks for the link :)
Soon I am going to give the sunflower brittle a try. We have tons of sunflower seed here.
Also thanks for the heads up on the quiche. I am always looking for something different for an occasional breakfast.
Betsy said…
That quiche looks SO good. It was pretty chilly out camping this week. It was 40F one morning while we were there. Brrrr.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Jeanna, it was delicious. Hope you enjoy it too.
Anne in the kitchen, you are welcome. Both are delicious.
Betsy, the weather here is still cold early mornings. I did not lay flat mushrooms on the top of mine to "fancy" it up, but it was very good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart