Skip to main content

Fragrant Lilacs ~ Chickweed

 

I haven't had time to porch sit, so I have not smelled the lilacs wafting through the country air.  I noticed a bit late this season, but they also bloomed early.  

A few years ago, a pine tree died and fell down, breaking off half of our lilac bush.  It's still blooming, but barely. 

Lilacs smell so wonderful.  I remember, as a young teen, my Grandma bringing cuttings from her lilac bush. 

You can make a lot of things with lilacs, but I have yet to try any recipes.  You can make syrups, infused sugars, jelly, teas, tinctures, and even body care.  Do you make anything with lilac blooms?

There is a possibility to plant another lilac this spring, but the rain is still an issue.

I had "plans" to do some weeding, but we are saturated here still.  Rain is not ending today again either.  I think we may even see rain a bit Thursday, but hopefully not. 


The rain is giving us chickweed, and we are enjoying pesto.  I mixed other greens in this batch too.




Comments

Lilacs do not like our acidic soil, hot humid summers, and our warmish winters. I know there are a couple of varieties that will grow here, but they require more coddling than I am willing to give.
Jeanna said…
The lilacs are so pretty. I hope you get break in the rain soon and are able to do more planting.
Anne in the kitchen, we cannot grow blueberry bushes here due to our soil, but raspberries and blackberries do great. I'm starting to think plum trees do not like our soil here now.
Jeanna, thanks. No break from the rain just yet.
Leigh said…
You are so lucky to have lilacs. They were common where I grew up but they don't grow here in the south. They say crepe myrtles are the lilacs of the south, but they just aren't the same.
Leigh, I'm trying to convince my husband we need to plant another lilac this year. We planted the first one almost 20 years ago here. The fragrance it produces is so wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart