Skip to main content

This and That

 I've been using a sample size of horsetail salve, to see if it will help with the very dry cracked skin on my hands (joys of gardening).  I did a bit of reading (like a tiny bit), and it apparently is good to help brittle fingernails too.  I do not make the salve.  I, honestly, never heard of it, until we bought some earlier this year.  So far, it's helping restore my hands and heal the very dry cracks.  

Garden planting is still on-going.  The rain has now moved later into the week, so watering newly planted seeds and plants is happening.  I obtained a few packets of organic collard seeds, and have a new plan for them this year.  I read that if they are planted next to thyme, they thrive better (we'll soon find out).


Our garlic is starting to grow scapes, and the radish plants have not even sprouted due to late planting.  The two together, make the most delicious dip.  I don't need to cut the scapes just yet, but I read they will store in the refrigerator for a good long time, so there is hope for making the dip this season. 

I recently listened to a video, where the garden grower stated that once you cut those scapes off, your garlic is done for the season.  I read that you cut them off, so your bulb grows larger, but now I'm hearing that is not the case.  Any thoughts on that?


It's that time of year I call "dip" season.  Easy dinners that require no cooking, and are also light lunches or even simply a quick, nutritious snack.  The photo above is a dip that uses 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar in the dressing and it is delicious.  I split this batch in half, and added a fresh chopped jalapeno to one half of the dip this time.

Black bean and corn dip.


Our comfrey is now blooming.  I grow it in a plant pot, and it comes back every year.  If I had a "weed" garden somewhere, it would be grown there, as it spreads quickly (medicinal plant).

I am glad I make my own comfrey salve, as we have used that this year too.  Along with plantain salve and yarrow salve.


Something I learned, but have to check resources to make sure it's correct - borage blooms (another green I would like to start growing) look almost identical to comfrey blooms, and the plant looks very similar.  You can eat the blossoms of borage and they taste like blueberries.  Hm.  I have yet to plant any borage, but it's sounds interesting.  It is one plant I am not familiar with.


Something else I learned - the roots of cleavers can be used to make a red dye.  Very interesting (Learning Herbs).  I decided to go ahead and start a tincture with cleavers, but in a smaller jar.  We love ginger root for swollen lymph nodes, but I think the tincture would be nice to have on hand this coming winter. 


I started an apple cider vinegar tincture with chickweed.  My first tincture made with vinegar.  My research recommended filling the jar 1/4 to 1/3 of dried herb.  As you can see a little herb goes a long way (using dried herb) in this type of tincture.  It will sit for 4 weeks before I strain it.

I do need to make an inventory on tinctures. I like to get those all re-stocked when the plants are growing.  I'm considering making more tinctures.  Possibly more with vinegar this year, but tinctures with apple cider vinegar will only last 1 year.  However, you can use them to cook with too.  I'm considering maybe Thai basil.  Garlic would be a good one too.  


I have a packet of Sorrel seeds, and have yet to decide where to plant them.  I really need a "weed" garden somewhere.  I have never eaten sorrel, nor planted it, nor harvested it for any reason.  I did read a bit about it, and it is invasive and a perennial plant.  Has anyone eaten sorrel?  Worth the time to plant possibly in pots for a trial run?  Benefits?  Does it freeze well when blanched?  Best way to eat it?  I'll have to do more research on this plant.  Adding it to my "rainy day" activities.



Deer are on the move lately.  They are the reason gardens are fenced around here, but deer can jump high too.   


This and That  ©  June 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
You have so many garden "things" happening. I don't think I'll be having anymore gardens but maybe someday if we aren't camping anymore I'll have a few plants on the balcony. We'll see.
Blessings,
Betsy
You have a whole herd of deer!
Deer are so pretty but they can wreck havoc to flowers and veggies.
Very interesting all that you do and come up with.
I my yard is mainly a lawn with planting areas, and have no access to the medicinal weeds. I might try comfrey in a pot.
Betsy, one year while on a weekend getaway, we drove thru a campground to check it out. There was a couple who was camping, and canning tomatoes over a hot plate outside. They said it saves heating up the house. Ha! Honestly, it's a great idea, but like you said when camping it's a time to relax, reset and soak up nature.
Far Side of Fifty, we've seen more than this at one time too.
Debby, yes, so far the way we have the garden rigged is keeping the animals away.
Anne in the kitchen, I am still looking for a lemon verbena plant to plant in a pot. So far nothing. I may have to look online if I really want one. My comfrey comes back every year in the pot I have it planted in. I do have to water it often.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart